Writing Guides (selected list)
A short guide to writing about art / Sylvan Barnet.
Writing about art / Henry M. Sayre.
Writing for the visual arts / Mashey Maurice Bernstein.
Thesis Statement and Outline
- Clearly state your topic and how you are customizing/limiting (ways to limit: gender, date, age group, place)
- What are you trying to prove?
- How will you prove it?
- Use your opinions and knowledge to develop your question
- Take a stand using your knowledge, experience, ideas
- Organize your ideas into an outline
Paper & Thesis Preparation
Search the catalog for the subject:
- Research -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. or
- Dissertations, Academic -- Authorship
Clark, Irene L. 2007. Writing the successful thesis and dissertation: entering the conversation. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Harmon, Joseph E., and Alan G. Gross. 2010. The craft of scientific communication. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Murray, Rowena. 2011. How to write a thesis. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
Wolcott, Harry F. 2001. Writing up qualitative research. Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publications.