The following library and Internet resources are geared toward the research needs of CSUN students taking Communication Studies 309: Advanced Public Speaking.
Select your Topic
- How to select the best topic for your research:
- Use library resources to browse a broad topic and narrow it down to sub-topics, such as sources of pro/con arguments.
- Ask yourself: What are the 5 Ws (who, what, why, when, where) and how of this topic?
- Ask yourself: How much time (or pages) do I have to present my topic?
- Deciding which type of resource to use for research involves several factors, including assignment requirements, currency of the research topic, and the depth of coverage needed.
- Be a Search Boss (video) when using library databases.
- Library databases are the best sources for credible information.
- Databases allow you to search for keywords using And, Or, Not Logic and trucation to help you identify relevant periodical articles, books, and other resources.
- Developing a Search Strategy leads to better results in library databases and Internet resources.
- For a complete list of available databases, see Databases by Subject or Databases A-Z.
- Library databases and other electronic resources can also be Accessed from off Campus.