- Periodical articles (magazines, newspapers, trade publications, and scholarly journals) are excellent sources of current and/or specific information for research projects.
- What is a Scholarly Article? (Video)
- Periodical indexes or databases allow you to search for keywords to help you identify relevant articles. All of the databases listed below provide the full text for most of the articles they index.
- Start with the OneSearch box on the Library home page to search across most of the Library’s databases and the Library catalog for books and media. Watch our video tutorial or read the FAQ to learn more about OneSearch.
- For a complete list of available databases, see Databases by Subject or Databases A-Z.
Search box on the Library home page is used to search across most of the Library’s article databases and the Library catalog for books and media. Good for general topics requiring different resources and/or to get started. Watch our video tutorial or read the FAQ to learn more about OneSearch. Note: multiple keywords are searched as if the Boolean "and" was implied between the keywords, unless quotation marks are placed around exact phrases.
Indexes and abstracts over 600 journals and trade publications; includes full text for over 240 journals. CMMC incorporates the content of CommSearch (formerly produced by the National Communication Association) and Mass Media Articles Index (formerly produced by Penn State). Subjects covered include journalism, mass media, communication studies, speech, linguistics, communicative disorders, deaf studies, advertising, and related areas of interest to practitioners and educators in these fields. Dates of coverage vary by journal.
Indexes over 350 U.S. and international film and television periodicals, including popular magazines, scholarly journals, and trade publications. In addition, selected content is chosen from thousands of additional publications that contain relevant content. Dates of coverage vary.
Covers nearly all aspects of the world of music; draws current content from more than 370 international music periodicals from over 20 countries with over 60 full text titles. Coverage: 1874- (full text: 1996-)
Covers sports, fitness and related disciplines. Indexes journals and books going back to 1800 to present; over 22,000 dissertations and theses and reference to articles in 60 different languages.
Full text articles from more than 270 ethnic, minority and native press publications, including newspapers, magazines and journals, 1960 to present.
Contains unique and diverse publications that focus on how gender impacts a broad spectrum of subject areas. With archival material dating back to 1970, GenderWatch is a repository of an important historical perspective on the evolution of both the women's movement and major changes in gender roles.
From arts and the humanities to social sciences, science and technology, this database meets research needs across all academic disciplines. Access over 9,000 scholarly journals, and general interest news magazines and newspapers - over half contain full text and images. Search specific keywords using the Advanced Search or browse subjects using the Subject Guide. Coverage is from 1980 to the present.
Provides full text for nearly 4,600 periodicals, including more than 3,900 full-text peer-reviewed journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of academic study. Allows limiting search results to peer-reviewed scholarly journals.
Full text for 500+ U.S. and international news sources. Includes coverage of 150+ major U.S. newspapers such as the Los Angeles Times, the Daily News, the New York Times, and the Chicago Tribune, plus hundreds of other news sources and news wires. Click the Publications tab to select individual newspaper titles to browse by date or search by keyword. Click the More Search Options link from the main search screen to reveal choices for limiting by Document Type, such as editorial, speech, and review.
Access Databases from Off Campus
Only current CSUN students, faculty and staff can access our databases from off campus. To access the databases from off campus, click the name of the database. You will then see a screen asking you to log in, using your CSUN User ID and password (the same ID and password you use to log in to the portal).
Check for Full Text Using Find Text
If the article isn't available full text in the database you are searching, click the button to see if we have access to the full text through another database or in print. A new page opens that will have one or more of the following links:
- Full text available via [database name]: Click to access the full-text online. If the link takes you to a publication-level page, you can navigate to the article by first choosing the correct year, then the correct month or volume number, then the issue, and then selecting the article from the displayed table of contents.
- We have this. Check availability in CSU Northridge Catalog: We have the article in print. Click to view the catalog record for the journal or magazine. You'll need to note the call number and then go to the fourth floor to get the article.
- Request document via Interlibrary Loan: We do not have the article online or in print. You can request the article via interlibrary loan (takes approximately ten working days).
For more information, see About Find Text.