Browsing: Most EPC books are located in the Library of Congress call numbers LB 1051-1091 on the second floor of the Oviatt Library. Remember to look also on the first floor Reference Room, although reference books (with green dots) cannot be checked out. Because EPC is broad in scope and intersects with many disciplines, however, you may want to browse books in other sections as well. Here are some related call number ranges:
- Psychology -- all BF
- Education theory and practice -- all LB
- Career counseling -- HF 5381-5382
- Family – HQ 503-1064
- Genetic counseling -- RB155.7
- Psychotherapy – RC 475-510
Searching: Use the Library Catalog to find books on a topic. If you don't know a specific title, then start with a KEYWORD search, e.g. "play". From the list of titles displayed, click on any one for more information. From here, you may switch to a SUBJECT search by clicking the links listed alongside Subject, e.g. Play therapy or Play--Psychological aspects. This will take you to a list of relevant Library of Congress subject headings which you may also want to explore. (Read more about Finding Books Using the Library of Congress Classification.) To determine if a particular book is available, look under Status. A due date will appear if the book is currently checked out. To be notified when a book is returned, click the Place a Hold button at the bottom.
Here is a sampling of EPC-related books in the Reference Room of the Oviatt Library. None of them can be checked out but some are also available online. Electronic books have no call numbers and must be accessed through the Library Catalog (requires a valid ID and password if accessing from off-campus).
- The educator's desk reference (EDR): a sourcebook of educational information and research / Melvyn N. Freed, Robert K. Hess, and Joseph M. Ryan. LB1028.27.U6 F74 2002
- Encyclopedia of applied developmental science / editors, Celia B. Fisher, Richard M. Lerner HQ 767.84 .E52 2005 (2 vol)
- Encyclopedia of education / James W. Guthrie, editor in chief. LB15 .E47 2003 (8 vol) (also an electronic book)
- Encyclopedia of education and human development / Stephen J. Farenga and Daniel Ness, editors. LB15 .E473 2005 (3 vol)
- Gale encyclopedia of mental disorders [electronic resource] / Ellen Thackery and Madeline Harris, editors 2003
- Gale encyclopedia of psychology / Bonnie Strickland, executive editor. BF31 .G35 2001 (also an electronic book)
- Handbook of child psychology / William Damon, editor. BF721 .H242 6th ed. 2006 (4 vol)
- Handbook of psychology / Irving B. Weiner BF121 .H1955 2003 (10 vol) see Volume 7: Educational Psychology
- The Praeger handbook of education and psychology / edited by Joe L. Kincheloe and Raymond A. Horn, Jr. ; Shirley R. Steinberg, associate editor. LB1051 .P635 2007 (4 vol)
If you cannot find what you are looking for in the CSUN catalog, try the WorldCat database, which is a mega-catalog of books and other materials in libraries worldwide, including CSUN and other CSUs.
Recommend Books and Videos
The Oviatt Library is always looking for good materials to add to its collection. If you discover a book that would support the EPC curriculum, please forward the title and author to email@example.com.
Also, if you see a high-quality video or DVD in EPC or related areas, please let us know that too. Use the online Video/DVD Purchase Recommendation Form and include distributor information, if possible.