Journal Article Databases
The following library databases will help you identify articles in scholarly journals and popular magazines using your keywords. Search results provide either direct links to the full text or the Find Text menu to help you locate the articles.
Good Databases to Start With:
- Communication and Mass Media Complete (EBSCOhost)
- Indexes and abstracts over 600 journals and trade publications; includes full text for over 240 journals. CMMC incorporates the content of CommSearch (formerly produced by the National Communication Association) and Mass Media Articles Index (formerly produced by Penn State). Subjects covered include communication studies, journalism, mass media, speech, linguistics, communicative disorders, deaf studies, advertising, and related areas of interest to practitioners and educators in these fields. Dates of coverage vary by journal.
- Film and Television Literature Index
- Indexes over 350 U.S. and international film and television periodicals, including popular magazines, scholarly journals, and trade publications. In addition, selected content is chosen from thousands of additional publications that contain relevant content. Dates of coverage vary.
- LexisNexis Academic
- LexisNexis Academic is a full-text database containing news, legal, biographical, and business information. U.S. Legal includes law review journal articles, U.S. and state Supreme Court and Appellate Court cases, U.S. District court cases, U.S. and state codes and constitutions; and the Code of Federal Regulations. Easy Search (default) searches large groups of the most popular sources, including recent court cases and law review journals, in addition to newspapers, news broadcast transcripts, company information, and Blogs.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCOhost)
- Provides full text for nearly 4,600 periodicals, including more than 3,900 full-text peer-reviewed journals. This database offers information in nearly every area of academic study. Allows limiting search results to peer-reviewed scholarly journals.
- America: History and Life (EBSCOhost)
- America: History & Life indexes the literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present. It indexes 1,700 journals from 1964 to present, and also includes citations and links to book and media reviews.
- Gale Power Search
- Simultaneously access 11 Gale databases to locate magazine articles, academic journal articles, news, reference books, Web sites, and multimedia resources. Includes "Viewpoint" (pro/con) essays and topic overviews on controversial issues from Opposing Viewpoints in Context in the "books" results.
- International Political Science Abstracts (EBSCOHost)
- Includes current indexing and abstracts of nearly 900 journals in political science, from 1989 to the present.
- Comprehensive archive of back issues of core scholarly journals in the arts, business, humanities, sciences, and social sciences.