Using American FactFinder to Find Data by Zip Code
NOTE: The Census Bureau advises users that pop-up blocker software may affect American Factfinder in unusual ways. So, if you use a pop-up blocker, make sure it is turned off when you use American Factfinder.
Find the Zip Code: If unknown, an easy way to find the zip code or codes for an area is to look up a street address or city using Zip Code Lookup and then follow the instructions below to use American Factfinder to search for census data by zip code:
- Start on American FactFinder.
- Click on Advanced Search, and then click on the Show Me All button.
- On the next screen, click Topics, or the other search options, such as race and ethnic groups, industry codes, or occupational codes, from the left side of the page. From the pop-up menu, select your specific topics, tables, etc. Close the pop-up window by clicking the X in the upper right-hand corner.
- Next, click on Geographies on the left-hand side of the page, and from the List tab, select the "geographic type" 5-digit Zip Code or 5-digit Zip Code Tabulation Area from the pulldown menu. In some cases, depending on the topic you selected, you may have to select a different geographic area, such as census tract, congressional district, or other smaller geographic type
- Select the State of interest, select the 5-digit zip codes of interest from the menu below the state name you selected, and then click Add to Your Selections.
- You will see the zip codes under Your Selections at the top left. You can modify your selections at any time by clicking the X next to the criteria. When done selecting zip codes, close the Select Geographies window by clicking the X in the upper right-hand corner.
- You are now ready to select the table(s) you want to view or download.
For more ways of searching for statistics by zip code, see Finding Statistics by Zip Code.