Using American FactFinder to Find Data by Zip Code
NOTE: The Census Bureau advises users that pop-up blocker software may affect American Factfinder in unusual ways. So, if you use a pop-up blocker, make sure it is turned off when you use American Factfinder.
Find the Zip Code: If unknown, an easy way to find the zip code or codes for an area is to look up a street address or city using Zip Code Lookup and then follow the instructions below to use American Factfinder to search for census data by zip code:
- Start on American FactFinder.
- Click on Advanced Search, and then Show me all.
- Click on Geographies on the left-hand side and from the "select a geographic type" pull down menu, under State, scroll down and select 5-digit Zip Code or 5-digit Zip Code Tabulation Area. NOTE: In some cases, data is consolidated into "zip code tabulation areas," so if you cannot find the data you need by 5-digit zip code, redo this step.
- Select the State of interest, then select the 5-digit zip code(s) or zip code tabulation area(s) or all zip codes of interest from the menu, and then click Add to Selections. NOTE: You can select more than one zip code from the menu by holding down the Shift key on a PC or Command key on a Mac and clicking the adjacent selections you want.
- You will see the zip codes under Your Selections at the top left. You can modify your selections at any time by clicking the X next to the criteria. When done selecting zip codes, close the Select Geographies window.
- You are now ready to enter additional criteria by selecting relevant Topics, Race and Ethnic Groups, or Industry Codes from the menus on the left-hand side to create your tables.
For more ways of searching for statistics by zip code, see Finding Statistics by Zip Code.