Library Catalog --
Consider searching by keywords as well as subject headings such as Health Education, Health Promotion a possible helpful current books is:
- Gilbert, G. G., Sawyer, R. G., & McNeill, B. (2011). Health education: Creating strategies for school and community health. Sudbury, Mass: Jones and Bartlett Publishers. Map It link in full catalog record gives Floor #, Stack #, and Call number, e.g. RA440.5 .G48 2011 is shelved on Floor 3, Stack 41
- American Journal of Public Health
PubMed - includes Medline and is freely available on the Internet but prefer to use link from Oviatt Library's web pages. In addition to indexing over 5000 medical journals, there are links into freely available Consumer Health (MedlinePlus) resources, several genetic, chemical, full text jurnal and full text book resources. Be sure to use CSUN's link to PubMed which is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?otool=cacsunlib This URL offers you the Find text icon .
PubMed indexes age groups so you can focus your research, e.g.
Adolescent A person 13 to 18 years of age
- Health Reference Center (Gale) --Indexes over 900 health and allied health journals with full text articles in 686 journals, 1980- also indexes newspapers, books, multimedia so can be a very good resources for finding information on particular places. This database provides help with Citing APA -look for Citation tools in the full record.
- EbscoHost databases - including CINAHLPlus(Nursing) and ERIC (Education)
- CINAHLPlus with Full Text (Nursing and Allied Health Literature) -- Indexes nursing literature with some fulltext from 1937- present . Also offers cited references searching , the CINAHL subject headings,
Los Angeles Area
- San Fernando Valley Statistics and Facts
Los Angeles Department of Health Services
- Los Angeles County Public Health Vital Statistics reports
- Leading Causes of Death and premature death Mortality in Los Angeles County
- Los Angeles County zip code databook.
Healthy City a very large online source of community resource information
and demographic,economic, and health data for LA County. Its URL is http://www.healthycity.org/
- The Health of California's Adults, Adolescents and Children: Findings from CHIS 2005 and 2003 by the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research.
- California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development Looks also for itsCalifornia Health Care Atlas
- Health Statistics on MedlinePlus
- State Health Facts offers health status indicators and much more. This site is done by Henry Kaiser Foundation
Also useful Websites
- Help with APA format and create your own personal database of resources you have been using -check out Endnote Web
- Citing your sources at http://library.csun.edu/Guides/ResearchStrategies/CitationStyleGuides
Databases by subject -Health Sciences + Nursing - the ability to search up to ten databases simultaneously in a plain vanilla interface, or you can go directly into the native interface. Databases may change. If you login (on right- same login as your CSUN email) you can save records on your electronic shelf which you retrieved using the multisearch interface. You can also create your own list of favorite databases.