Welcome to the Oviatt Library Health Sciences 539!
The Goals of today's Library sessions are to help you find scholarly, peer reviewed, and authorative government resources on your topics:
- HPV Vaccine
- End State renal disease
- Resilience among young A/A girls -linked to teen pregnancy rates
- Infectious disease among low income populations
- Sleep health among teens
- Influenza vaccine among pregant women
- Older adults and depression
- Bullying among LGBT middle school students
The Databases and Resources we will examine together can be found by using the Find Articles by Subject Health Sciences + Nursing at http://library.csun.edu/xerxes/databases/subject/health-sciences-nursing with special emphasis on
- PubMed (including Medical Subject Headings and subheadings, and cross references, Search detail box for search term interpretation, Link out to MedlinePlus related topics,
- MedlinePlus features for legislation, statistics, overviews, and more;
- EbscoHost databases including CINAHLPlus with Full Text, PsycInfo, ERIC (Education) plus many more,
- Internet resources - Healthy People 2020 website at http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/default.aspx
- Healthy People 2020 website at http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/default.aspx
- Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (print version)
- Sample Style Sheet for APA Bibliographic Citatons (PDF) by Dr. Karin Durán
- Sample APA-Style Annotated Bibliography (PDF) by Dr. Karin Durán
- APA Style Guide (PDF) by Eric Garcia
- APA - Frequently Asked Questions
- Citing Archival Materials in APA
Check for Full Text Using Find Text
If the article isn't available full text in the database you are searching, click the button to see if we have access to the full text through another database or in print. A new page opens that will have one or more of the following links:
- Full text available via [database name]: Click to access the full-text online. If the link takes you to a publication-level page, you can navigate to the article by first choosing the correct year, then the correct month or volume number, then the issue, and then selecting the article from the displayed table of contents.
- We have this. Check availability in CSU Northridge Catalog: We have the article in print. Click to view the catalog record for the journal or magazine. You'll need to note the call number and then go to the fourth floor to get the article.
- Request document via Interlibrary Loan: We do not have the article online or in print. You can request the article via interlibrary loan (takes approximately ten working days).
For more information, see About Find Text.
Citing your sources EndNote Web
- Learn how to sign up and use Endnote Web . You can import bibliographic records from a variety of resources to create your own personal database of articles, books, websites. Use EndNote Web to collect, manage, and create a bibliography or works cited list from your citations.
Registration is free while you are a student. First time, to sign up for your EndNoteWeb account, you can connect directly to http://library.csun.edu/restricted/endnote.scr. In addition to asking Marcia Henry and other librarians for help, Endnote Web will also answer your questions about installing the Cite While you Write plugin for Microsoft Word on your own computer. If you install Cite While You Write plugin on your own computer in your MicroSoft Word, be sure to set Preferences so it goes to the url:
on your own computer you can put in the working email address you used to sign up with EndNoteWeb, your password, and check Keep me logged in.
Tutorials for Endnote Web are provided at library.csun.edu/FindResources/i-Endnoteweb
Endnote Web technical support's telephone number is (800)336-4474
Call Monday-Friday 6:00am-5:00 pm (Pacific Coast Time)