Books about Health Sciences
Browsing: Many health sciences books are located in the Library of Congress call number starting with R on Floor 3 of the Oviatt Library. Additional locations possible are Reserve Book Room(Floor 4 East), Stored(ASRS East), and the Reference Room. Floor 2 may also have health related material in KF, HV, LB. Check catalog for Floor and call numbers. There are a growing number of electronic books.
Here is just a sampling of Health Sciences -related reference (non circulating if in print) books available either in the Oviatt Library or online. Electronic books can be accessed either through the Library Catalog (requires a current login if accessing from off-campus) . A sampling of electronic health and medical reference books can be retrieved by following this link .
- Encyclopedia of health care management. available online and in print REF RA971 .E52 2004
- Gale Virtual Reference Library has the following online medical encyclopedias:Drugs and Controlled Substances: Information for Students 2003, Drugs, Alcohol, and Tobacco: Learning About Addictive Behavior 3v, 2003, Encyclopedia of Drugs, Alcohol, and Addictive Behavior 2nd ed., 4v, 2001, Encyclopedia of Public Health 4v, 2002 , Gale Encyclopedia of Cancer 2v, 2002, Gale Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders 2v, 2002, Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine 2nd ed., 5v, 2002 (Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine also in Reference Room ref RC41 G35)
covers 905 disorders, 235 tests/procedures and 352 treatments. Has illustrations. ) , Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders 2v, 2003, Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health 5v, 2002, Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery: A Guide for Patients and Caregivers 3v, 2004
- Directory of Physicians in the United States REF R712 .A1 A6 Latest edition in the Reference Room. Gives the current address of all physicians in U.S. and its territories. Includes some additional information as well. The AMA offers Doctor Finder at http://dbapps.ama-assn.org/aps/amahg.htm
- Healthline offers Find a doctor at http://www.healthline.com/doctors
- Directory of Medical Specialists Ref R712 A1 D5 Provides biographical data for physicians certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties. Also lists the requirements for obtaining certification in each medical specialty.
- American Hospital Association's Guide to the Health Care field. REF RA977 A1 A46 gives address, telephone number and statistical data for hospitals in the United States
- Directory of Health, Welfare, and Recreation Agencies in Los Angeles County REF HV 89 D47 Lists voluntary nonprofit and governmental agencies. Alphabetic, service and geographic indexes to description of agencies.
- Medical School Admission Requirements, U.S.A. and Canada (ref R 745 A8) Contains admission information for individual medical schools in the U.S. and Canada. Also provides general information on how to apply to medical school
To see if CSUN owns a journal, please check the Library Catalog Periodical Title Search. To search for electronic periodicals only, check the "Search electronic periodicals only" checkbox.
To assist you in finding the journal articles, the CSUN list of Electronic Periodicals and bibliographic databases offer FIND TEXT links. Periodical databases now provide full text access possibilities where the database is limited to citation or abstract.
The best way to find articles on a specific topic is to search in a database, most of which index thousands of articles in thousands of journals. Not all articles are available full-text online; some are in print only and some are not available from the Library except through interlibrary loan. To determine the availability of an article, most databases offer the FindText button.
Below are recommended databases for Health Sciences . They can be accessed either from
- Offers Medline (currently indexing over 5,000 journals), several molecular biology and chemical databases. Some full text journals and books, 1950-
- Medline is also available to CSUN throughthe ISI Web of Knowledge and the Ovid interfaces.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (EBSCO)
- Indexes over 3,000 nursing and allied health journals, with cited references from 1,600 journals; provides full-text access to many journals and other sources, 1937-
- Health Reference Center (Thomson Gale)
- Indexes over 900 health and allied health journals with full text articles in 686 journals, 1980-
- Cochrane Library (Wiley)
- Several evidence based medical databases, with protocols, controlled trials, and full-text reviews.
- CSUN University Library Catalog indexes books, periodicals, media and other materials held by the Oviatt Library.
- Academic Search Elite (EBSCO)
- Abstracts to 3,000 journals (over 1,500 peer-reviewed journals), with full text to more than 2,000 of the journals. Dates may vary, most from 1985-
- ABI/Inform Global (ProQuest)
- Indexing, abstracts to articles from more than 2,800 leading management publications, full text for over 1,800 titles, information on 60,000 companies, plus business dissertations, 1971-
- ERIC (ProQuest)
- Abstracts 775 education journals, ED reports, 1966-
- PsycINFO (EBSCO)
- Indexes over 2,000 journals plus books and book chapters, 1987-present.
- SAGE Journals Online
- Full text to over 460 journals in business, humanities, social sciences, and science, technology and medicine.
- ScienceDirect (Elsevier)
- Index with abstracts to over 1,700 scientific journals published by Elsevier; with full-text access to over 1,400 journals.
- Wilson OmniFile Full Text Mega
- Cross-searching of Education Index with Full Text, General Science Index with Full Text, Humanities Abstracts with Full Text, Readers' Guide Retrospective and Readers' Guide Full Text, Social Sciences Index with Full Text, Business Index with Full Text, Applied Science & Technology Full Text, Art Full Text, Biological & Agricultural Index Plus, Index to Legal Periodicals Full Text, Library Literature & Information Science Full Text.
- Abstracts over 1000 academic journals, books, reports and conferences, 1991-
- Dow-Jones and Reuters full text business services.
- LexisNexis Academic
- Full text news, medical, legal & business sources. Dates vary.
- Wiley Interscience
- Access to over 300 full-text journals published by J. Wiley, 1993-
- Full-text access to over 1,300 academic journals, 1997-
- CQ Researcher
- Explores a single hot issue in the news in depth each week. Topics range from social and teen issues to environment, health, education, and science and technology.
- ProQuest Newspapers
- Full text access to over 600 US and international newspapers, hundreds of other news wires and news sources. Dates vary.
- Indexes, abstracts more than 5,000 medical journals, 1965-
- OCLC catalog of books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Contains over 62 million records for all types of materials cataloged by OCLC member libraries.
- RAND California
- California economic and public policy issues, including over 80 statistical databases with data at various geographic levels, some covering the entire nation.
- PILOTS Database (CSA)
- Citations on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental-health sequelae of traumatic events, covering the Published International Literature On Traumatic Stress from 1871 to the present.
- National Library of Medicine's information page for Internet health research and full text web pages on many diseases. Topics like cancer are covered in here and also at http://www.cancernews.com/sites.html and National Cancer Institute's Cancer.gov
Merck Manual at http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/index.html -authoritative information on diseases and symptoms
- Medical World Search is a search engine that selects quality medical sites on the Web and provides a medical thesaurus which can search for related terms
- WebMD (sm) also known as MedRef http://www.medscout.com/
- A medical directory which indexes, dissects, and cross-indexes hundreds of medical web sites
- Health on the Net Foundation http://www.hon.ch/cgi-bin/find?1 MedHunt World Wide web medical search
- Organising Medical Networked Information (OMNI) at http://omni.ac.uk/
- OMNI is a British website, no longer updated, but still very valuable searchable catalogue of hand-selected and evaluated, quality Internet resources in Health, Medicine and Nursing.
- WebMedLit at http://www.webmedlit.com/
- WebMedLit offers easy access to the best medical journals on the web by scanning premier medical web sites each day and extracting the available citations, abstracts and full-text articles.
- Internet Public Library Recommended Health and Medical Resources at http://www.ipl.org/IPLBrowse/GetSubject?vid=13&tid=6840&parent=0
- Hardin Meta Directory of Internet Health Sources
- offers a unique link to Electronic journal showcase -Medicine & Health
- WebMD at http://www.webmd.com/
- has a medical encylcopedia, a drug reference (the U.S. Pharmacopeia Drug Information database),
- INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS IN THE HEALTH SCIENCES
- ChemFinder WebServer (tm)
- offers online alot of the same information Merck Index (Merck Index: An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals. 11th ed., 1989. (Ref.Rm., ref RS 153 .M57 1989) does. The ChemFinder WebServer (CambridgeSoft Corp.), a chemical database, with structures, contains over 3500 compounds searchable by name, by chemical formula and by substructure. URL: http://chemfinder.camsoft.com BioSites is a current listing of important Internet resources in the biomedical sciences done under the auspices of National Library of Medicine.
- Ethnomed presents medical and cultural information on immigrant and refugee groups
- Health-Related World Wide Web Servers
- Encyclopedia of Earth
- includes Environmental hot topics and Congressional Research reports.
- National Library of Medicine - good way to keep up with what's new from NLM. Check out its NLM Drug Information portal at http://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov.
- National Institutes of Health
- U.S. EPA
- EPA Sector Notebooks
- Each Notebook brings you comprehensive, well-researched details gathered for the first time
- Medical Matrix:Guide to Internet Clinical Medicine Resources
- Medscape is at http://www.medscape.com/
- The Online Resource for better Patient Care requires registering (free).
- California Health Information for Policy Project
- HealthWeb provides links to specific, evaluated information resources on the World-Wide Web selected by librarians and information professionals at leading academic medical centers in the Midwest. Selection emphasizes quality information aimed at assisting health care professionals as well as consumers in meeting their health information needs.
- CDC:Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- PharmInfoNet - Pharmaceutical Information Network
- Rx Drug List
- National Coalition to support comprehensive Sexuality Education is at http://www.ncsse.com/
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion links to many full text handbooks
- ODPHP and NHI produces a number of referral publications and policy documents, including many in support of the Healthy People 2000 and later initiatives.
- Major's Book Company is at http://www.majors.com
- one of the largest suppliers of medical books and serials.
- National Library of Medicine's Catalog
- LocatorPlus offers access to NLM's Catalog as well PubMed and MedlinePlus
- Grey Literature Report from the New York Academy of Medicine
- Medical and Health Care at http://www.nationjob.com/medical
- offers nationwide lists of jobs
- Health Career Web:Jobs for Healthcare professionals
- HealthCareSource is at http://www.healthcaresource.com
- American Hospital Association's rated this site the best job hunting sites