History 349A- Women in American History through 1848
The following library and Internet resources are geared toward the research needs of CSUN students taking History 349A:
History 349A Women in American History through 1848 is a survey of women’s roles and status through 1848. (Available for General Education, Section F.3, Comparative Cultural Studies or the new GE R Plan, Section F Cultural Studies)
Professor: Joyce Broussard
Librarian: Lynn Lampert
The following library and Internet resources are geared toward the research needs of CSUN students taking Dr. Joyce Broussard's History 349A course.
Choose the Right Resource
When choosing resources for your assignment, consider:
- Assignment requirements—what does the professor want you to cite?
- Learn about your topic -- You may want to use a reference book like an encyclopedia (print or online) to start out with if you don't have a clear understanding of your topic yet.
- Time—the more current the topic, the less will be found in scholarly journals or books, which take longer to get published. Recent events will be covered on the Internet, in newspapers and magazines, as well as in the media.
- Depth of coverage and/or the topic—scholarly journals and books cover topics in more depth than magazines and newspapers. Some topics are not covered by the popular press, e.g., research that would not be of interest to the average consumer.
- Quality of the resource - see Step 3: Evaluating Sources
|Type of Information You Need||Try These Resources|
|Does your topic cover current events?||Newspapers, magazines, Internet|
|Do you need general information on a specific topic, written in a non-specialist style?||
Newspapers, magazines, Internet
|Do you need in-depth information on a specific topic, written for the college student and above by authorities in the field?||Scholarly journals|
|Do you need more detail and/or has the topic been written about for awhile?||Books|
|Do you need an overview, quick facts, statistics on a topic?||Reference books, Internet|