History Writing Guides for Students
New to History? For information on practical methods of analyzing, researching, and writing for history classes try these comprehensive resources:
- Writing history essays : a student's guide Reference Room D16 .M1185 2007
- A student's guide to history Reference Room D16.3 .B4 2010
- Writing History: a guide for students Reference Room D16 .S864 2009
- Writing history in the digital age
- History in crisis? : Recent directions in historiography
- Essaying the past: how to read, write, and think about history
- Going to the sources: a guide to historical research and writing
Can't find the material you need? Try the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. With ILL, you can obtain materials which are needed for research but not available in the Oviatt Library.
How long does it take? Articles that are available through electronic delivery and usually takes 3-5 days to obtain and will be emailed directly to you. Expect to wait at least two weeks for print material.
To access the service please Login to Interlibrary Loan and fill out a loan request.
Details on the service may be found on our ILL Frequently Asked Questions page.
WorldCat: If you cannot find books on your subject in the Oviatt Catalog try searching on WorldCat. Use the Findtext link to request and interlibrary loan.
The Finding and Using Images guide has been created for the purpose of helping you find and use images for educational purposes. It is a starting point to understand basic resources available, such as:
- Creative Commons Licenses
- Library Databases with images
- Digital/Library Collections
- Stock Images or Clip Art
- Basic Copyright information
- Citing Images (MLA, APA)
Using images can greatly enhance your research, poster, or presentation. However it can be confusing to know exactly where to find images and if you need permission to legally use it. Watch this video to learn more about Creative Commons licenses and where/how to search for these types of images.
Ask a Librarian
At reference desk most hours the library is open.