Databases containing English articles on Japan
- ABI/Inform Global The premier business and management database providing extensive coverage of North America and the world.
- Academic Search Elite (EBSCO) Provides full text for 3,288 scholarly publications covering academic areas of study including social sciences, humanities, education, computer sciences, engineering, language and linguistics, arts & literature, medical sciences, and ethnic studies.
- BAS : Bibliography of Asian Studies Bibliography of Asian Studies database published since'71.
- Cambridge Journals Online Includes the most recent Journal of Asian Studies
- Google Scholar [& Google Books] Search the entire open access articles/books
- Journal of East Asian Linguistics Articles regarding East Asian libraries and collections.
- JStor Asian Studies Comprehensive archives of important scholarly journal literature.
- Lexis/Nexis Academic Full text newspapers and magazines including the Japan Times, Daily Yomiuri, Daily Mainichi.
- MLA (Modern Language Association) International Bibliography The electronic version of the MLA Bibliography dates back to 1963 and contains over 1.6 million citations from more than 4,400 periodicals.
- US Gov't report/article Search Search to retrieve reports, articles, and citations by simultaneously searching across multiple databases of the US Government
Databases in Japanese
CiNii : Citation Information by NII NII 論文情報ナビゲータ
Japanese scholarly journal index. Abstracts are available. Includes NDL Zasshi Kiji Sakuin search. Many full text articles from Daigaku Kiyo (大学紀要）are available in pdf. Can search holding institutions. Can save your bibliographic information in three different formats.
See also the Getting the Most of CiNii Articles Database (link to University of Hawaii at Manoa)
Zasshi Kiji Sakuin 雑誌記事索引 Zassaku (National Diet Library) Click on Zasshi Kensaku 雑誌検索
Journal indexes from 1948 to present developed by the National Diet Library. List of journals indexed in the NDL Zasshi Kiki Sakuin database.
See also the Getting the Most of Zasshi Kiji Sakuin Guide (link to University of Hawaii at Manoa)
See also the Getting the Most of Nichigai Magazine Plus (link to University of Hawaii at Manoa)
Databases including full-text Japanese magazines/journal articles
Senryoki shinbun zasshi joho database 占領期雑誌記事情報データベース NDL site
占領期新聞・雑誌情報データベース The Institute of 20th Century site
Prange Collection University of Maryland. Title level search via the National Diet Library. The most comprehensive collection in the world of print publications issued in Japan during the immediate post-World War II years, 1945-1949.
Other helpful sites
Nihon no Bijutsu 日本の美術
Translation of titles of each issue created by Ohio State University
Finding & Accessing (Japanese)
The National Diet Library Digitized Contents
About 15,000 titles of Japanese doctoral dissertations (received 1991-2000) are available online in addition to about 126,000 titles provided only inside the NDL.
Browse by title Title list of all the dissertations received by NDL from 1950 to present
Search dissertations and thesis via JAIRO. Check on "Thesis or Dissertation" box.