(Note: Location: REF RM refers to the Reference Room on the main floor, Oviatt Library. For serial publications, earlier editions are usually found on the upper floors of the Library or in storage.)
- ABYZ Newspapers & News Media Guide
- Bowker's News Media Directory (Former Title: Working Press of the Nation)
Location: REF RM Z6951 .W6
- Broadcasting and Cable Yearbook
Location: REF RM HE8689 .B77
- Editor and Publisher International Year Book
Location: REF RM PN4709 .E35
- Gale Directory Library: Online access to directories: Brands and their Companies; Business Rankings Annual; Consultants and Consulting Organizations Directory; Encyclopedia of Associations: National Organizations of the U.S.; Market Share Reporter; and Scholarships, Fellowships & Loans.
- The Iowa guide: scholarly journals in mass communication and related fields.
Location:Floor3 (Ref) PN4700 .G3 1988
- Newspapers in Latin America
- Standard rate and data service (SDRS)
Location: REF RM HF5905 .S7321
- Ulrichsweb.com (Ulrich's Periodicals Directory provides detailed information on more than 300,000 periodicals of all types published worldwide, including basic circulation data and publisher information)
- Who Owns the News Media, The State of the News Media (Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism)
- Who Owns What: Columbia Journalism Review ("guide to what the major media companies own")
Handbooks & Stylebooks
For additional style manuals, search the Library Catalog under the subjects "Journalism Style Manuals" and "Journalism Authorship." For additional guides to doing investigative research, search under the subject, "Investigative reporting" or "Journalism data processing."
- Associated Press broadcast news handbook / Brad Kalbfeld. New York : McGraw-Hill, c2001.
Location: REF RM PN4783 .K35 2001
- The Associated Press stylebook and briefing on media law : fully revised and updated with a new Internet guide and glossary . Cambridge, Mass : Perseus, 2000.
Location: REF RM PN4783 .A83 2000
- Attkisson, Sharyl. Writing right for broadcast and Internet news. Boston : Allyn and Bacon, c2003.
Location: FLOOR3 PN4784.B75 A88 2003
- A Broadcast news manual of style / R.H. MacDonald. New York : Longman, c1987.
Location FLOOR3 PN4784.B75 M24 1987
- Broadcast news writing stylebook / by Robert A. Papper. Delaware, Ohio : Robert A. Papper, c1987.
Location FLOOR3 PN4783 .P3 1987
- Library Resources for Communication Studies: Journalism . Chicago, IL: Communication Studies Committee, Education and Behavioral Sciences Section, Association of College & Research Libraries.
Covers core information resources including, associations and organizations, conferences, listservs, journal indexes and abstracts, lists of libraries with special collections, and research guides for key areas in communication studies, journalism, and mass media. Check the Library Catalog or Databases A-Z to see if CSUN has the resource.
- The language of news: a journalist's pocket reference / Jack Botts. Ames : Iowa State University Press, 1994.
Location: FLOOR3 PN4783 .B68 1994
- Handbook of Public Relations / Robert L. Heath, editor ; Gabriel Vasquez, contributing editor.
Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Sage Publications, c2000.
Location: FLOOR2 HD59 .H267 2000
- Los Angeles Times Stylebook : a manual for writers, editors, journalists, and students / compiled by Frederick S. Holley.New York : New American Library, c1981.
Location: FLOOR3 PN4783 .H56 1981
- Manual de estilo. Washington D.C. : National Association of Hispanic Journalists : Knight Ridder [distributor], 2003.
Location: FLOOR3 PN4783 .N38 2003
- The New York Times manual of style and usage. / Allan M. Siegal and William G. Connolly.
New York : Times Books, c1999.
Location: REF RM PN4783 .S57 1999
- Weinburg, Steve. The Reporter's Handbook: an investigator's guide to documents and
techniques. NY: St. Martin's, 1996.
Location: FLOOR3 PN4781 .R38 1996
- Reporter's handbook on media law. Sacramento, Calif. : California Newspaper Publishers Association, 1989-90. Note: CNPA reports 2007-08 edition in press (8/6/07).
Location: FLOOR2 (Ref) KFC535.A15 R47 1989-90
For additional encyclopedias related to journalism, try the search the Library Catalog using the keyword search for: "mass media and encyclopedias" or "journalism and dictionaries."
- Encyclo (Neiman Journalism Lab)
- Encyclopedia of Journalism. Christopher H. Sterling, editor. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2007.
- Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications, Donald H. Johnston, editor-in-chief. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2003.
Location: REF RM P87.5 .E532 2003
- Encyclopedia of new media: an essential reference to communication and technology, Steve Jones, editor. Thousand Oaks, CA : Sage Publications, 2003.
- Encyclopedia of public relations, Robert L. Heath, editor. Thousand Oaks, CA : Sage, 2005.
- Hudson, Robert V. Mass media : a chronological encyclopedia of television, radio, motion pictures, magazines, newspapers, and books in the United States. Garland reference library of social science ; v. 310. :New York : Garland Pub., 1987.
Location: REF RM P92.U5 H77 1987
- Kurian, George. World press encyclopedia. New York : Facts on File, 1982.
Coverage of the world press, its history, economics, censorship, education and training. Location: REF RM PN4735 .K87 v.1-4
- Paneth, Donald. The Encyclopedia of American journalism. New York : Facts on File, 1983.
This encyclopedia of newspapers, magazines, radio, television, photography, newsreels and documentaries lists more than 1,000 entries. Influential figures in media and journalism are also covered.
Location: REFRM PN4855 .P26 1983
- Sage Knowledge
Includes online access to full-text reference sources such as Encyclopedia of Communication Theory, 21st Century Communication: A Reference Handbook, Encyclopedia of Journalism, and Encyclopedia of New Media.
- Watson, James. Dictionary of media and communication studies. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
Location: REF RM P87.5 .W38 2006
- World press encyclopedia: a survey of press systems worldwide, Amanda C. Quick, project editor. Detroit : Gale, c2003.
This comprehensive survey of press and electronic media covers over 200 countries and their systems. Arranged alphabetically by country, entries include overview and background, economic framework, general characteristics, number and type of media, press laws, censorship issues, state-press relations, education and training in journalism, and more.
- Biographical Dictionary of American Journalism. New York : Greenwood Press, 1989.
Location: REF RM PN4871 .B56 1989
- The Encyclopedia of American Journalism. New York : Facts on File, c1983.
Location: REF RM PN4855 .P26 1983
- Encyclopedia of Twentieth Century Journalists :New York : Garland, 1986.
Location: REF RM PN4871 .T34 1986
- For books by or about specific people, search the Library Catalog by the name of the person as an author or subject (last name, first name). To search for collections of biographies by type of person or profession, search the Library Catalog using the keyword search, for example: journalists and biography.
- The LexisNexis Academic "People" search is useful to locate information about people in business, industry, politics, etc. This People Search tutorial demonstrates how to do this.
- The Biography Index (Wilson) covers biographical information from more than 2,700 English-language periodicals; as well as books, autobiographies, bibliographies, biographies, critical studies, fiction, drama, pictorial works, poetry, juvenile literature, obituaries, journals, collections of letters, book reviews, and interviews.