The following is a highly selective bibliography of useful books, specific journals, articles, websites, and other resources offering help with library assessment.
- Beck, S. E., & Manuel, K. (2008). Practical research methods for librarians and information professionals. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers.
- Cook, D., & Farmer, L. S. J. (Eds.). (2011). Using qualitative methods in action research: How librarians can get to the why of data. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries.
- Hernon, P., Dugan, R. E., & Nitecki, D. A. (2011). Engaging in evaluation and assessment research. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited.
- Matthews, J. R. (2007). The evaluation and measurement of library services. Westport, Conn: Libraries Unlimited.
- Neely, T. Y. (2006). Information literacy assessment: Standards-based tools and assignments. Chicago: American Library Association.
- Radcliff, C. J., Jensen, M.E., Salem, Jr., J.A., Burhanna, K.J., & Gedeon, J.A. (2007). A practical guide to information literacy assessment for academic librarians. Westport, Conn: Libraries Unlimited.
- Sproull, N. L. (1988). Handbook of research methods: A guide for practitioners and students in the social sciences. Metuchen, N.J: Scarecrow Press.
In addition to the peer reviewed journals in library science, the following journals have practical articles on assessment.
- Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education
- Evidence Based Library and Information Practice
- Practical Assessment, Research and Evaluation
- Research & Practice in Assessment
- Hernon, P. & Schwartz, C. (2012). The assessment craze. Library & Information Science Research, 34(2),79. doi: 10.1016/j.lisr.2012.01.001
Oakleaf, M. (2008). Dangers and opportunities: A conceptual map of information literacy assessment approaches. Portal: Libraries & the Academy, 8(3), 233-253. doi: 10.1353/pla.0.0011
- Sundberg, Marshall D. (2002). Assessing student learning. Cell Biology Education, Spring-Summer (1), 11–15. doi: 10.1187/cbe.02-03-0007
- Ewell, P., Paulson, K., and Kinzie, J. (2011). Down and in: Assessment practices at the program level. National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- AAC&U Resources | Assessment
- Value of Academic Libraries Toolkit, ACRL
- Office of Academic Assessment, CSUN
- Assessment, University of Connecticut
- Internet Resources for Higher Education Outcomes Assessment
- University of Washington Libraries Assessment
- Research Methods Knowledge Base
- Reporting Statistical Results in Your Paper
- National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment
- Library Assessment Conference: Building Effective, Sustainable, Practical Assessment
- International Conference on Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries