Library Catalog Advanced Search
For an Advanced search, select the Advanced Catalog Search link on the homepage. The Advanced search allows you to search by keyword in up to four separate fields, and optionally limit your search by language, material type, location, collection, publisher, or publication date.
To start your search:
- Select the field you want to search (Author, Title, Subject, Note, or "any field") from the first drop-down menu.
- Type keyword(s) in the adjacent text box. Two or more words entered together in one search box will retrieve records containing that exact phrase, unless there is no exact match. If there is no exact match for the phrase entered, the system will retrieve records contain all search terms entered, wherever they are in the record.
- (OPTIONAL) For a combined search, enter additional keywords into separate search boxes and choose the appropriate Boolean operators (and, or, and not) from the pull-down menu.
Limiting Search Results in the Library Catalog
You may further refine your search results by selecting when it is available.
Basic keyword searches and Advanced searches can be limited prior to submitting the search, or after by selecting . Search limits include publication date, language, material type, publisher, and location. Sorting results by year is also an option.
Wildcards & Truncation in the Library Catalog
Use the single asterisk * truncation symbol to search variations of a word, up to five characters, for example: critic* will also retrieve critics, critical, criticism. However, to truncate a word that could have more than five characters after the root word, use two asterisks **, for example: bank** will also retrieve banks, banking, banker, bankrupt, and also bankruptcy.
Searching for Periodical Titles in the Library Catalog
You can search by Periodical title by selecting the Periodicals tab on the homepage.
- The Oviatt Library subscribes to over 1,700 print and over 25,000 online periodicals, which include research journals, magazines, and newspapers.
- For online periodicals only, select the Search electronic periodicals only check box.
NOTE: The Library catalog offers title searching for periodicals, but not for specific articles. For access to periodical articles, search the databases listed on the Library's Find Databases by Subject page.
Searching for Videos, CDs, DVDs and Other Media in the Library Catalog
- Many videos, DVDs, CDs and other media formats held by the Oviatt Library are listed in the Library Catalog and located in Music & Media.
- Instructional media for K-12 are located in the Teacher Curriculum Center.
- Search for media by Author (director, screenwriter, producer, artist, composer, etc.) and/or Title. Media can also be searched by topic (see Library Catalog Basic Search).
- Limit search results to media as follows:
- For videos/DVDs: In the Basic search screen, change View Entire Collection to Videos/DVD in the pull-down menu.
- For all media types: In the Advanced screen under "Optional Limits" set the "Material Type" pull-down menu to specify the type of media you want.