Note: Titles listed below are either linked to the library catalog record, which lists the location of the print source in the Oviatt Library, or to the online resource or website.
- ABYZ Newspapers & News Media Guide
- Gale Directory Library (Online access to directories: Gale Directory of Publications and Broadcast Media; Brands and their Companies; Business Rankings Annual; Consultants and Consulting Organizations Directory; Encyclopedia of Associations: National Organizations of the U.S.; Market Share Reporter; and Scholarships, Fellowships & Loans, among others.)
- Newspapers in Latin America
- Ulrichsweb.com (Provides detailed information on more than 300,000 periodicals of all types published worldwide, including basic circulation data and publisher information)
- Who Owns the News Media (Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism)
- Who Owns What: Columbia Journalism Review ("guide to what the major media companies own")
Research Methods Handbooks
To find additional research handbooks, perform a keyword search in the Library Catalog and enter terms such as "handbook*," "research," "method*," "measure*," etc. along with mass communication-related keywords, such as method* and media.
- Media and communication research methods: an introduction to qualitative and quantitative approaches.
- Communication research measures: a sourcebook. (Provides various questionnaires, tests, scales, and measures in communications. See also Psychological Measurement & Instrument Guide for more information about locating information about and/or actual tests.)
- Encyclopedia of Evaluation
- Encyclopedia of Measurement and Statistics
- Encyclopedia of Survey Research Methods
- Library Resources for Communication Studies: TOC (Covers core information resources including, associations and organizations, conferences, listservs, journal indexes and abstracts, lists of libraries with special collections, and research guides for key areas in communication studies, journalism, and mass media. Check the Library Catalog or Databases A-Z to see if the Oviatt Library has the resource.)
- The Sage encyclopedia of qualitative research methods
- The Sage encyclopedia of social science research methods
- The SAGE handbook of media studies
- The Sage handbook of performance studies
For additional encyclopedias related to mass communication, search the Library Catalog using the keyword search for: "Mass media and Encyclopedias" or "journalism and encyclopedias" or "media and dictionaries."
- SAGE Knowledge (Includes online access to 80 full-text reference sources such as Encyclopedia of Communication Theory, 21st Century Communication: A Reference Handbook, Encyclopedia of Journalism, and Encyclopedia of New Media.)
- Encyclopedia of International Media and Communications
- Encyclopedia of Journalism
- World press encyclopedia: a survey of press systems worldwide (Covers the press, electronic media, and systems of over 200 countries. Includes country overview and background, economic framework, general characteristics, number and type of media, press laws, censorship issues, state-press relations, education and training in journalism, and more.)
- CountryWatch (Latest news, data, and background information on all recognized countries of the world.)
- For books by or about specific journalists, search the Library Catalog by the name of the journalist or media personality as an author or subject (last name, first name). To search for collections of biographies, search the Library Catalog using the keyword search: journalists and biography and dictionaries.
- Biography Index Past and Present (Comprehensive biographical resource indexing articles and books, autobiographies, bibliographies, biographies, critical studies, fiction, drama, pictorial works, poetry, juvenile literature, obituaries, journals, collections of letters, book reviews, and interviews. Includes over a million article and book citations.)
- LexisNexis Academic (Click Search By "Subject or Topic," then "Biographical Information," then "Advanced Search.")