Goals of library session for HS318:
- Virtual tour of library - reserve study rooms, course reserves; interlibrary loan
- search strategies
- nursing databases
- The library provides Databases by Subject Health Sciences + Nursing - ( http://library.csun.edu/xerxes/databases/subject/health-sciences-nursing ) this offers a list of databases recommended for the Health Sciences. Professor Highfield especially wants you to become familiar with CINAHLPlus and PubMed ( PubMed is available on the Internet - access to subscription databases CSUN has is limited to the CSUN's link to PubMed) . Additional on the right is our brand new discovery tool OneSearch which will search over 150 databases and allows you to save records on your own electronic shelf access using your same CSUN email login and password. Additional, we will explore the native interfaces for the following databases.
Controlled Vocabularies, Age Groups and Limits in:
- CINAHLPlus with Full Text (Nursing and Allied Health Literature) on EbscoHost offer CINAHL Headings, the controlled vocabulary CINAHL indexers use to assign subject headings to each record, limits, e.g. age, gender, Evidence Based Care sheets and Cited Reference searching. Remember not all the records have the full text so you will need to use sometimes the Find text icon which helps you identify if CSUN subscribes to the journal as well as give help in APA style.
- PubMed (Medline)- in addition to indexing almost 5000 medical journals, there are links into freely availble Consumer Health (MedlinePlus) resources, several genetic, chemical, full text jurnal and full text book resources. Be sure to use CSUN's link to PubMed which is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?otool=cacsunlib This URL offers you the Find text icon which helps you identify if CSUN subscribes to the journal.
- Learn about PubMed Advanced search http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/special_queries.html
- Learn about Medical Subject Headings MeSH
- COCHRANE (Wiley)- evidence based literature review . Provides bibliographies and the findings of research articles
- Additional interfaces for MEDLINE are MEDLINE (ISI) and MEDLINE (Ovid)
- Ovid Journal and Ovid Books - has over 700 full text journals and a growing collection of electronic books mostly Lippincott titles, and the MEDLINE index to medical literature
Learn aboutGoogle Scholar at http://scholar.google.com/ is free to you. You can configure so it will work with CSUN's Find Text. However Find Text in Google Scholar is a link labeled SFX. To activate the capabilities for your browser, go to Scholar Preferences:
- In the box next to Library Links type "CSUN" and click Find Library.
- Check the box next to "CSU, Northridge (SFX Find It)"
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save Preferences button.
Click SFX: Additional Options or SFX: Find It for access to online full text, Oviatt Library holdings information, and Interlibrary Loan.
Learn about Google Book links using our catalog - Check out the catalog record for
- Wallace, M. (2008). Essentials of gerontological nursing. New York: Springer. http://suncat.csun.edu/record=b2200937 and its
Nursing Databases Descriptions
- CINAHLPlus with Full Text Cumulative Index for Nursing and Allied Health Literature indexes several thousand nursing and allied health journals; 780 of them are full text journals, from 1937 to present Offers evidence based care sheets, includes bibliographies and thereby offers cited references searching for the journals it indexes.
- Cochrane is a collection of evidence based medical databases, with protocols, controlled trials, and full-text reviews. Access to the full text of the reviews is limited to 1 user at a time.
- OVIDJournals - with about 25 current journal subscriptions plus hundreds of Walter Kluwer older full text journals, the Ovid journals interface also offers a growing list of Lipponcott nursing books
MEDLINE database indexes 5000 medical and allied health journals. It's available from several vendors.
- PUBMED (NLM) indexes the medical literature including nursing. PubMed also provides access to additional relevant Web sites and links to the other NCBI molecular biology resources. PUBMed and the other related databases are freely available on the Internet so it is important for lifelong research. While you are a student at CSUN, Oviatt gives you access to over 52,000 journal subscriptions by using this URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?otool=cacsunlib
- MEDLINE (OVID) - OVID interface is often available in hospital libraries
- MEDLINE (ISI) - MEDLINE on ISI may be useful because it works well with Endnote Web
Scholarly Journals (Peer-reviewed/Referreed)
- Authors are authorities in their fields.
- Authors cite their sources in endnotes, footnotes, or bibliographies.
- Individual issues have little or no advertising.
- Articles must go through a peer-review or refereed process.
- Articles are usually reports on scholarly research.
- Illustrations usually take the form of charts and graphs.
- Articles use jargon of the discipline.