Use the OneSearch box on the Library home page to search across most of the Library’s article databases and the Library catalog to get started. Watch our video tutorial or read the FAQ to learn more about OneSearch.
General Periodical Sources
The following databases will help you locate articles in popular magazines, trade publications, scholarly journals, and some newspapers in support of news reporting background research.
Academic Search Elite (EBSCOHost)
Provides full text for nearly 1,850 periodicals, including more than 1,250 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to the full text, indexing and abstracts are provided for all 3,237 periodicals in the collection. This database offers information in nearly every area of academic study, including communication studies. Allows limiting search results to peer-reviewed scholarly journals.
Full-text reports that offer in-depth, non-biased coverage of political and social issues, with regular reports on topics in health, international affairs, education, the environment, technology and the U.S. economy. Each 12,000-word report is a unique work, investigated and written by a seasoned journalist, including sections on background and chronology; an assessment of the current situation; tables and maps; pro/con statements from representatives of opposing positions; and bibliographies of key sources. Note: Since the reports are written by journalists, it is not considered a scholarly journal. Coverage is from 1991 to the present.
Online weekly magazine provides in-depth reports on issues before the U.S. Congress, plus a complete summary of the previous week's news, including the status of bills in play, behind-the-scenes maneuvering, committee and floor activity, debates and all roll-call votes. Good source of current events and social issues. Coverage is from 1983 to present.
Gale Power Search
Simultaneously access 11 Gale databases to locate magazine articles, academic journal articles, news, reference books, Web sites, and multimedia resources. Includes "Viewpoint" (pro/con) essays and topic overviews on controversial issues from Opposing Viewpoints in Context in the "books" results.
Opposing Viewpoints In Context (Gale)
Search or browse controversial issues. Features "viewpoint articles" (pro/con arguments), topic overviews, full-text magazine, academic journal, and newspaper articles; primary source documents, statistics, images and podcasts, and links to web sites. Updated daily.
Wilson OmniFile Full Text Mega
Cross searching of Art Full Text, Business Full Text, Education Full Text, General Science Full Text, Humanities Full Text, Library Literature & Information Science Full Text, Readers' Guide Retrospective, Readers' Guide Full Text, and Social Sciences Full Text; plus Applied Science & Technology Full Text, Biological & Agricultural Index Plus, Index to Legal Periodicals Full Text.
Specialized Databases for Journalism Research
- Communication and Mass Media Complete (EBSCOhost)
- Indexes and abstracts over 600 journals and trade publications; includes full text for over 240 journals. CMMC incorporates the content of CommSearch (formerly produced by the National Communication Association) and Mass Media Articles Index (formerly produced by Penn State). Subjects covered include journalism, public relations, mass media, photojournalism, communication studies, speech, linguistics, communicative disorders, deaf studies, advertising, and related areas of interest to practitioners and educators in these fields. Dates of coverage vary by journal.
- Film & Television Literature Index (EBSCOHost)
- Indexes over 350 U.S. and international film and television periodicals, including popular magazines, scholarly journals, and trade publications. In addition, selected content is chosen from thousands of additional publications that contain relevant content. Dates of coverage vary.
- ABI/INFORM and ProQuest Business Databases
- Access to almost 3000 full- text business journals, many full text newspapers/newsletters and company reports, from 1971 to present. Good for articles on organizational communication, public relations, media business, and related areas.
- Art Full Text (Wilson)
- Covering 400 art publications, including those relevant to photojournalism and graphic design. Includes indexing 1984-, abstracts 1994-, and select full text 1997- .
- A digital archive containing nearly 500,000 world art and architecture images, including an extensive collection of photographs from the renowned Magnum Photo group of documentary photographers. Requires Sun Java 1.3 and Flash Player 6.
- Computer Database (Gale)
- Indexes 659 computer journals with full text articles for about half, 1980-present. Use this database to find computer-related product introductions, news, reviews, and research in areas such as hardware, software, electronics, engineering, communications, Internet, virtual reality, multimedia, and the application of technology.
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (EBSCOHost)
- Issues such as freedom of speech, censorship, Internet filtering, and technology's effect on communication are covered in the library and information science journals, which are indexed and abstracted in LISTA.