Professor Highfield's suggestions:
Show them how to access these materials for Nurs303 in which I have materials -http://suncat.csun.edu/search/r
Books on reserve
How to find a book title on the shelf related to culture
How to find a journal (like Journal of Transcultural nursing )
How to look inside a book on Google or WorldCat
How to do a quick search on PubMed for a nursing research article on a particular culture - Emphasize Use Oviatt's link to PubMed which links to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?otool=cacsunlib
How to do a quick subject search on a particular culture & how to save those records
How to do a quick CINAHL search for research on a particular culture
Include advance search delimiters
Include "find similar articles"
Include look for text - our Find Text links are very important to you! CINAHLPlus has about 1000 full text journals (it indexes about 4000 journals) but we do subscribe to 50,000 full text journals - from Sage, Science Direct, Wiley and many more databases
Show how to find an EBP sheet on spiritual or culture - available in CINAHLPlus with Full Text
EndNote Online to store saved citations and help with APA - http://library.csun.edu/FindResources/i-Endnoteweb
The goals of today's library session are:
- Learn How to do Library and Internet research: determine information need, choose best resources, develop a search strategy, understand keyword and subject searching, how to use boolean operators and truncation symbols, how to cite sources, and more.
- Learn about Find Articles by Subject Datatabases by Subject:Nursing
- Learn about Find Text to identify if Oviatt library has the item
- Learn how to find a book, journal, videos, databases, and check Reserves in the library catalog
Library Catalog Advanced Search
For an Advanced search, select the Advanced Catalog Search link on the homepage. The Advanced search allows you to search by keyword in up to four separate fields, and optionally limit your search by language, material type, location, collection, publisher, or publication date.
To start your search:
- Select the field you want to search (Author, Title, Subject, Note, or "any field") from the first drop-down menu.
- Type keyword(s) in the adjacent text box. Two or more words entered together in one search box will retrieve records containing that exact phrase, unless there is no exact match. If there is no exact match for the phrase entered, the system will retrieve records contain all search terms entered, wherever they are in the record.
- (OPTIONAL) For a combined search, enter additional keywords into separate search boxes and choose the appropriate Boolean operators (and, or, and not) from the pull-down menu.
Scholarly Journals (Peer-reviewed/Referreed)
- Authors are authorities in their fields.
- Authors cite their sources in endnotes, footnotes, or bibliographies.
- Individual issues have little or no advertising.
- Articles must go through a peer-review or refereed process.
- Articles are usually reports on scholarly research.
- Illustrations usually take the form of charts and graphs.
- Articles use jargon of the discipline.
Nursing SimpleSearch replaced by OneSearch
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (EBSCO)CINAHL Plus with Full Text (EBSCO)
- Cochrane Library (Wiley)Cochrane Library (Wiley)
- Ovid JournalsOvid Journals
- Health Reference Center (Gale)Health Reference Center (Gale)
Full text databases
- SAGE Journals OnlineSAGE Journals Online
- ScienceDirect (Elsevier)ScienceDirect (Elsevier)
- Wiley Online LibraryWiley Online Library
Citing your sources EndNote Web
- Learn how to sign up and use Endnote Web . You can import bibliographic records from a variety of resources to create your own personal database of articles, books, websites. Use EndNote Web to collect, manage, and create a bibliography or works cited list from your citations.
Registration is free while you are a student. First time, to sign up for your EndNoteWeb account, you can connect directly to http://library.csun.edu/restricted/endnote.scr. In addition to asking Marcia Henry and other librarians for help, Endnote Web will also answer your questions about installing the Cite While you Write plugin for Microsoft Word on your own computer. If you install Cite While You Write plugin on your own computer in your MicroSoft Word, be sure to set Preferences so it goes to the url:
on your own computer you can put in the working email address you used to sign up with EndNoteWeb, your password, and check Keep me logged in.
Tutorials for Endnote Web are provided at library.csun.edu/FindResources/i-Endnoteweb
Endnote Web technical support's telephone number is (800)336-4474
Call Monday-Friday 6:00am-5:00 pm (Pacific Coast Time)