The following are examples of the types of items you can identify using our Oviatt Library catalog
- book shelved in the library - Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare :..
- journal in print in the library - Journal of School Nursing
- catalog record for an e-book -Nursing care plans and documentation
- catalog record for an e-journal available in many datases -Nursing older people
- videos/DVDs -Basic Cardiac Monitoring [electronic resource]
- article databases - PubMed
If you wish to browse the library stacks, here are some guidelines for Library of Congress classification and possible locations for most material. Please remember some items might be on reserve, shelved in new books if a new acquisition, might be in the reference area if designated REF, or may be an electronic book or e- journal. So browsing the library stacks will NOT lead you to our growing electronic collections of online books, journals, videos.
- RT Nursing Floor 3
- RC Medicine Floor 3
- Floor 4 has current bound journals (1990- 2010) for all disciplines
- Floor 4 East wing has current issues of journals we get in print
- Floor 4 East wing is the Reserve Book Room
Subject Headings with links to retrieve books, videos, journals, and theses in the CSUN Online Catalog
CSUN library uses Library of Congress Subject Headings when . Following are a select list of LC subject headings appropriate for research on topics for nursing. Each LC subject heading is a link into our CSUN catalog. Remember to Sort Results by date to get the most recent books first. If you want to retrieve ALL books that mention the keyword(s) anywhere in the catalog record change the search from a subject to keyword search.
|Nursing||Nurses||Transcultural Nursing||Nursing Care Plans|
Library Catalog Basic Search
Starting from the Library Catalog Basic Search screen you can search by Keyword, Title, Author, or Subject by selecting the radio buttons and typing search words in the text box.
The default Limits setting will search the entire collection. You may also limit your search to smaller sub-collections: Ejournals (electronic periodicals--not specific articles), Ebooks, NCOD (National Center on Deafness), TCC (Teacher Curriculum Center), Periodicals/Serials (not specific articles), Videos, Reference Room, Special Collections, or Sound Recordings by selecting a collection from the drop-down menu.
Searching for a specific Item
Select an Author or Title search if you know the author (last name, first name) or at least the first few words of the title.
Searching for Items by Topic
There are two ways to search the online catalog for resources on a topic: by Keyword or by Subject.
- A Basic Keyword search will simultaneously look for words in titles of materials, in subject headings, and in notes fields.
- A Subject search will locate materials by Library of Congress Subject Headings, which is a controlled vocabulary or standard list of subject terms. The Oviatt Library assigns Library of Congress Subject Headings to all items listed in the online catalog.
- Another way to find the Library of Congress Subject Heading for your topic is to search the catalog by Keyword, display the record for a relevant title, and select one or more of the Subjects listed for that record.