CSUN library uses Library of Congress Subject Headings. The following are a select list of LC subject headings appropriate for research on topics for physical therapy. Each LC subject heading is a link into our CSUN catalog. Remember to Sort Results by date to get the most recent books first. If you want to retrieve ALL books that mention the keyword(s) anywhere in the catalog record change the search from a subject search to a keyword anywhere. Consider also the subheadings 'rehabilitation' and 'physical therapy.'
Call Number Ranges (for browsing the Book Stacks):
QP 303 Floor 4
Kinesiology, biomechanics, human mechanics
GV Floor 2
Physical Training, Physical Education, Sports, Dance
RC 1200, RM
Sports Medicine, Physical Therapy
The following are primarily links which will guide you to finding books in our library, electronic books, identify citations for articles in journals as well as offer many full text articles. The best way to find articles on a specific topic is to search in a database, most of which index thousands of articles in thousands of journals. Not all articles are available full-text online; some are in print only and some are not available from the Library except through interlibrary loan. To determine the availability of an article, most databases offer the FindText button.
- Library catalog -Look up books, videos, journals and masters thesis in CSUN
- PubMed -brief records and links to some full text in over 5000 medical journals, books and websites. Includes the Medline database plus several specialized databases.
- EbscoHost -several databases, including CINAHLPlus with Fulltext(Nursing and Allied Health), and Academic Search Elite, SportsDiscus
- PEDro at http://www.pedro.org.au/ PEDro is the Physiotherapy Evidence Database. PEDro is a free database of over 17,000 randomised trials, systematic reviews and clinical practice guidelines in physiotherapy. For each trial, review or guideline, PEDro provides the citation details, the abstract and a link to the full text, where possible. All trials on PEDro are independently assessed for quality. These quality ratings are used to quickly guide users to trials that are more likely to be valid and to contain sufficient information to guide clinical practice. PEDro is produced by the Centre for Evidence-Based Physiotherapy at The George Institute for Global Health.
- REHABDATA - REHABDATA, produced by the National Rehabilitation Information Center, is a free databse which describes over 70,000 documents covering physical, mental, and psychiatric disabilities, independent living, vocational rehabilitation, special education, assistive technology, law, employment, and other issues as they relate to people with disabilities. The collection spans 1956 to the present.
- Thompson Gale Power Search-several databases including Health Reference Center Academic (Gale InfoTRAC), Gale Virtual Reference library, and InfoTrac OneFile
- National Academy of Sciences over 5000 free online books
- http://www.worldcat.org/ is open access database to WorldCat you can use after you graduate.
- Physical Education Index (Proquest) indexes 293 journals, reports, conferences and more, has 1970-; abstracts 2001-
- Cochrane Library (Wiley) evidence based databases including Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Cochrane Reviews), Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE), The Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), The Cochrane Database of Methodology Reviews (Methodology Reviews), and the The Cochrane Methodology Register (CMR)
The following are journals CSUN owns in paper and electronically. The links to the journal titles go to the journal title's catalog record in our CSUN Periodicals and Serials Catalog. The catalog record gives you the call number for the journal in print and also provides a link to the online journal when journal is available online. The library catalog has cataloging records for over 6,500 electronic journals available form certain electronic journals subscriptions such as Academic Search Elite, Science Direct, or publisher's websites.
Oviatt library subscribes to dozens of full text databases offering access to over 25,000 electronic journals. To identify which database may offer full text and if you know the title of a periodical or newspaper, use our Library Catalog -- Periodical Title Search.
- American Physical Therapy Association
- APTA Hooked on Evidence database requires American Physical Therapy Association member login
- Physical Therapy -The Web Space
- PT Central
- PEDro a freely available Physiotherapy evidence database
- MedlinePlus information about diseases, drugs and more from government and professional websites.
- Human Anatomy Online : An Interactive Tutorial and Reference. Laboratory Dissections Dissection manual keyed to major anatomy texts.
- NARIC National Rehabilitation Information Center (includes REHABDATA database)
- National Guideline Clearinghouse Evidence-based Practice Guidelines
- TRIP Database Evidence-Based Medicine