Developing a Search Strategy
- Once you have chosen a topic, write it down in the form of a question or brief statement:
What was the influence of the Ottoman Empire on the art & architecture in Venice?
- Underline the key words and phrases that are most specific to your topic.
What is the relationship between Ottoman and Venice?
- Write down each key word or phrase, and underneath it, list synonyms or related terms.
Use a dictionary or thesaurus to find additional keywords. For example:
|Turkish Turk||Northern Italy||painting architecture sculpture|
- Think about the singular, plural, and other endings of words and write down the root of the word.
Art Architecture arts artists church churches basilica
- Write down your key words and phrases along with their synonyms in the form of a Boolean search statement. Use the root word, and truncate it with an asterisk (*). Note: Different databases use different truncation or wildcard symbols. Check the database's help page. For example:
(Art or painting or sculpture) and (turk* or ottoman) and (church* basilica)
Scholarly Journals (Peer-Reviewed/Referred)
- Authors are authorities in their fields.
- Authors cite their sources in endnotes, footnotes, or bibliographies.
- Individual issues have little or no advertising.
- Articles must go through a peer-review or refereed process.
- Articles are usually reports on scholarly research.
- Illustrations usually take the form of charts and graphs.
- Articles use jargon of the discipline
Business of Art
Keyword search terms: art marketing
Art & reality : the new standard reference guide and business plan for actively developing your career as an artist.
Location: Floor 3 N8600 .A19 1997
Art Business Encyclopedia
Location: Reference Room N8600 .D83 1994
Art Glass Studio Business Plan." Business Plans Handbook. Ed. William H. Harmer and Terrance W. Peck. Vol. 6. Detroit: Gale, 1999. 23-34. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 21 Feb. 2011.
Art of selling art
Location: FLOOR3 N8600 .J33 1994
Art office / by Constance Smith & Sue Viders.
Location: Floor3 : N8353 .S635 2007
Art Marketing Handbook for the Fine Artist.
Location: FLOOR3 N6506 F69 1992
Art Marketing Sourcebook for the Fine Artist
Location: Reference Room N58 .A78 1995
Artists & graphic designer's market 2001
Location: FLOOR3 N8600 .A76 2000
Business and Legal Forms for Fine Artists
Location: Reserve KF390 A7 C68 1995
Business of being an artist.
Location: FLOOR3 N8600 .G7 2000
Designing a digital portfolio
Location: FLOOR3 NC1001 .B37 2004
Fine artist's guide to marketing and self-promotion: innovative techniques to build your career as an artist
Location: FLOOR3 N8600 .V57 1996
How to prepare your portfolio: a guide for students and professionals
Location: FLOOR3 N8351 .M37 1994
How to survive and prosper as an artist: selling yourself without selling your soul
Location: FLOOR3 N6505 .M46 2001
Licensing art 101 by Michael Woodward.
Location: Floor 3:N8600 .W66 2007
Career Guides in the Arts
Art a Gogo's guide to careers in art history: a career guide for California art history students.
Location: Reserve Books N88 C374 1995
Becoming a graphic designer: a guide to careers in design.
Location: FLOOR3 NC1001 .H45 1999 also available- online |
Career Opportunities in Art.
Location: FLOOR2 N6505 .H35 1994
Careers in the fashion industry.
Location: FLOOR3 TT507 .G48 1999
Careers in art: an illustrated guide.
FLOOR3 N6505 .B74 1999
Careers in the visual arts : a guide to jobs, money, opportunities, and an artistic life.
Location: FLOOR3 N6505 .I86 1993
Encyclopedia of careers and vocational guidance 4 vol.
Location: Reference Room HF5381 .E52 12th ed. 2003
Fine art as a career [electronic resource]: painter, sculptor, printmaker, portrait of the artist as an intriguing individual.
Great jobs for the art majors.
Location: FLOOR3 N6505 .C33 2003
National Resource Guide for the Placement of Artists. Reference Room
Location: NX100 .N38 1992
Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Location: Reference Room HD8051 .A62 (Also on the Web Occupational Outlook Handbook)
See also O*Net Online |