Questions to Ask About Your Assignment Requirements
- How many pages does your paper need to be?
- How many sources are required?
- What type of sources can you use? (magazine, journal articles, books, etc)
- Do your sources need to be scholarly?
- Which citation style format can you use? (MLA, APA)
- When is it due? The Research Project Calculator can help you with time management.
Complete the Preparation for Research Worksheet to help with answering assignment requirements, selecting a topic and coming up with keywords.
- Brainstorm your topic for keywords.
- Ask yourself the 5 W’s (who, what, why, when, where) and how to help develop keywords.
- Reference Resources can help you select and narrow your topic.
- Narrow the focus of your topic to formulate a research question or thesis.
- Can you narrow your topic to a specific….
- Time period?
- Geographical area?
- Race, ethnicity, gender, or age group?
- Make sure you can adequately answer the research question in the allotted number of pages required.