Using Address with Zip Code to Find Census Data (American FactFinder)
Finding Population Data:
- Go to American FactFinder.
- Click on ADDRESS SEARCH on the lower right-hand side of the page.
- Make sure the tab is set to ADDRESS and enter the address in the boxes (including ZIP Code) and click GO.
- Look through the results to see if the city comes up as a search result. If it doesn't, you can search by ZIP Code, Census Tract, Congressional District, other city that appears, etc. For this example, use CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT or ZIP CODE. Click on the Geography Name to add that category to your search.
- To get a detailed snapshot of general population for that area, click on PROFILE BY GENERAL POPULATION AND HOUSING CHARACTERISTICS 2010.
- Click VIEW, right above the list of categories.
- You have the option of printing, downloading, bookmarketing, etc., the information. You can also save the table as a PDF by clicking on the VIEW ALL AS PDF link in the upper right-hand corner.
Finding Employment Data:
- Clear your previous search in the upper right-hand search under YOUR SELECTIONS.
- Choose the TOPICS tab and click on PEOPLE.
- Click on EMPLOYMENT and then then click on EMPLOYMENT (LABOR FORCE) STATUS to choose that category for your search.
- Click on DATASETS at the bottom of the list of categories.
- Choose 2006 ACS (the 2010 data is still being populated so isn't available).
- Click the X to close your search box.
- Choose the ADDRESS tab and enter an address. Remember that the Census may not recognize the city, so it will include that city within a larger one. If this happens, search using one of the other categories given.
- Now you need to choose your actual categories to search. To find employment information along with race and income levels, use the following three categories: SELECTED ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS: 2006, EMPLOYMENT STATUS and EMPLOYMENT CHARACTERISTICS BY FAMILIES.
- Click VIEW to see the table.
- The tables come up as one table per page. Click on the arrows at the top around the RESULTS 1 OF X to see your tables.
- To create PDFs, click VIEW ALL AS PDF. Remember that you can also change the table by clicking on MODIFY TABLE. In addition, there is the option of downloading, bookmarking and printing it.