Narrow or Broaden Your Search (Boolean Searching)
Use AND between terms to narrow your search
Use OR and/or truncate (*, ?) words to broaden your search
example: comput* (will find computer, computers, computing, etc.)
example: wom?n (will find woman or women)
Note: check online help for the correct truncation symbol
Finding Books in the Library Catalog
Use the Catalog search box located in the center of the library's homepage to search for books. To search for books on your topic, use the default Keyword search option and enter your search terms in the For box.
If you have a specific book or author in mind, before you enter your search terms in the For box, change the Search type from Keyword to:
- Title - to look for a specific book.
- Author - to look for books by a specific author.
To look for ebooks only, select Ebooks in the Limits field.
- *NEW MLA Style Guide 8th Edition (PDF) by Jamie Johnson
- MLA Style - Quick Guide 7th Edition (PDF) by Eric Garcia
- MLA Style Guide 7th Edition (PDF) by Eric Garcia
- Citing Archival Materials in MLA
- MLA handbook for writers of research papers 8th Ed (print)
- MLA handbook for writers of research papers 7th Ed (print)
Surface vs. Deep Web
Using Google Scholar
You can find items the Oviatt Library owns using Google Scholar's capabilities. To activate the capabilities for your browser:
- Select Settings in the upper right, then Library links from the left menu.
- In the search box, type "CSUN" and select Find Library.
- Check the box next to "CSU, Northridge (SFX Find It)"
- Then select Save.
Select the SFX Find It at CSUN link (to the right of the article) or the SFX: Additional Options link (located below the article description) for access to online full text, Oviatt Library holdings information, and Interlibrary Loan.