Publications, Analysis, and Outlook
- National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) publishes working papers, reports, and books on national and internationl economic issues.
- Economic Report of the President
Transmitted to Congress in February of each year; read, download or search; also includes the special report Changing America; 1996 to date, with statistical data available to export 1997 to date.
- Global Economics Forum
Daily analysis of current conditions from Morgan Stanley Dean Witter & Co.; requires registration.
- World Bank Research
The World Bank assessment of current economic conditions and the outlook by region.
Selected Gov. Agencies with Economic Data
- Bureau of Labor Statistics is useful for employment statistics such as minimum wage. Simply search for "mimimum wage. For more on mimimum wage check out U.S. Mimimum Wage Directory (not a government website).
- U.S. Energy Information Administration is helful for research on oil, gas, solar power and alternitive energy prices and production.
- Census Bureau - Economic Briefing Room
- Council of Economic Advisers hint: Browse Issues
- Federal Reserve Economic Data (FRED)
- Federal Reserve Bank Microeconomic Center
- Bureau of Economic Analysis has interactive data.
- Joint Economic Committee
- White House - Economic Statistics Briefing Room (ESBR)
Consumer Price Index/Cost of Living
Consumer Price Index
- Consumer Price Indexes
CPI Home Page from the Bureau of Labor Statistics; includes the CPI Inflation Converter which converts from 1980-2000; historical data from 1913; explanations under FAQ Frequency Asked Questions.
- Cost of Living Calculator
Computes cost of living changes from metro areas.
- Inflation Calculator
Input a dollar amount and select years from 1800 to 2000 and it will calculate the value based on the Consumer Price Index.
- Inflation Conversion Factors
From Robert Sahr, Oregon State, with factors for converting the value of a dollar at each year since 1800 into current dollars.
- What is a Dollar Worth?
From the Federal Reserve Bank, Minneapolis to calculate value of dollar between any given year with annual consumer price index back to 1913.
- American Economics Association (AEA)
- Econometric Society
- Economists for Peace and Security (EPS)
- European Economic Association (EEA)
- Financial Management Association International
- National Association for Business Economics (NABE)
- National Association of Economic Educators (NAEE)
- Society for Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics
- Western Economic Association International (WEA)
- Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- Economic Policy Institute (EPI)
- Economics Research Network (ERN)
- European Union
- Export Import Bank of the US
- InterAmerican Development Bank (IADB)
- International Labor Organization (ILO)
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- International Political Economy Network (IPEnet)
- Institute for International Economics (IIE)
- Kiel Institute of World Economics
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD )
- United Nations
- World Bank Group
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
A compilation of data gathered by the United States Census Bureau.
Annual Economic Surveys In addition to conducting the Economic Censuses every five years, the U.S. Census Bureau conducts more than 100 economic surveys covering annual, quarterly, and monthly time periods for various sectors of the economy. These surveys measure a wide variety of economic activities, from capital expenditures for food manufacturing companies to annual auto dealership sales. Includes County Business Patterns.
Economic Statistics for U.S., states, metro areas, counties, and cities. Published every five years (2002, 2007, 2012, etc.) for every industry (NAICS). Part of the Economy-Wide Statistics offered by the U.S. Census Bureau.
Economy-Wide Statistics from the US Census Bureau, includes Statistics of U.S. Businesses, Quarterly Workforce Indicators, and Survey of Business Owners.
Census 2010 data presented in such a way that it can be understood by the novice user. Included are charts and trends, maps, population rankings and information on segregation.
Historical Census Data
From the U.S. Census
A guide from the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) highlighting their collection of census information
Demographic data, market insights, interactive maps, detailed summary and comparison reports, and fast access to U.S. Census data sorted by geographies and demographic characteristics.
Census of Population and Housing from the Decennial Census 1790-2010
From the University of Virginia Library, has data sets on state and county level topics for individual census years 1790-1960 (including demographics on slave population) and generate maps on selected data.
This report includes the census questionnaire and instructions for each census and individual census histories are also provided.
Database of census data 1790-present