About this guide:
This Library Research guide provides you with a starting point for doing research in kinesiology and physical education. However, the library has many more resources available for your research. For questions or additional research assistance, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Number Ranges (for browsing the Book Stacks):
- Floor 3 QP303 Kinesiology ; RC1200 Sports Medicine
- Floor 2 GV Physical Training, Physical Education, Sports, Dance
Note: Please remember we have growing numbers of electronic books, so it is important to check the Library Catalog to read electronic books. Our collection is shifting to an online collection and NOT all books are available in print.
Subject Headings with links to retrieve books, videos, journals, and theses in the
CSUN Online Catalog
CSUN library uses Library of Congress Subject Headings when . Following are a select list of LC subject headings appropriate for research on topics for kinesiology and physical education. Each LC subject heading is a link into our CSUN catalog. Remember to Sort Results by date to get the most recent books first. If you want to retrieve ALL books that mention the keyword(s) anywhere in the catalog record change the search from a subject search to a keyword anywhere.
|Kinesiology||Physical Education and Training||Sports Medicine|
|Human Locomotion||Movement Education||Biomechanics|
||Physical Fitness||Exercise Therapy|
The best way to find articles on a specific topic is to search in a database, most of which index thousands of articles in thousands of journals. Not all articles are available full-text online; some are in print only and some are not available from the Library except through Interlibrary Loan. To determine the availability of an article, most databases offer the FindText button.
Below are recommended databases for Kinesiology . They can be accessed either from
Databases A-Z, as well as from the Databases by Subject: Kinesiology at http://library.csun.edu/xerxes/databases/Kinesiology
You can also build your own database of records you retrieve from the following databases by creating a free account with Endnote Web at http://myendnoteweb.com. The EbscoHost databases export bibliographic information very easily into EndNoteWeb
- Offers Medline (currently indexing over 5,000 medical and allied health journals), several molecular biology and chemical databases. Some full text journals and books, 1930 to present
- SportsDiscus (EbscoHost) -indexes books, chapters in books, journals, dissertations, proceedings
- PsycInfo (EbscoHost)
- Indexes 293 journals, reports, conferences and more, 1970-; abstracts 2001-
- Indexes over 3,000 nursing and allied health journals, with cited references from 1,600 journals; provides full-text access to many journals and other sources, 1937-
- Indexes over 900 health and allied health journals with full text articles in 686 journals, 1980-
- Abstracts to 3,000 journals (over 1,500 peer-reviewed journals), with full text to more than 2,000 of the journals. Dates may vary, most from 1985-
- Wilson OmniFile Full Text Mega (EbscoHost)
- Cross-searching of Education Index with Full Text, General Science Index with Full Text, Humanities Abstracts with Full Text, Readers' Guide Retrospective and Readers' Guide Full Text, Social Sciences Index with Full Text, Business Index with Full Text, Applied Science & Technology Full Text, Art Full Text, Biological & Agricultural Index Plus, Index to Legal Periodicals Full Text, Library Literature & Information Science Full Text.
- ERIC (CSA)
- Abstracts 775 education journals, ED reports, 1966-
- Index with abstracts to over 1,700 scientific journals published by Elsevier; with full-text access to over 1,400 journals.
- CSUN University Library Catalog indexes books, periodicals, media and other materials held by the Oviatt Library.
- OCLC catalog of books and other materials in libraries worldwide. Contains over 62 million records for all types of materials cataloged by OCLC member libraries.
- Several evidence based medical databases, with protocols, controlled trials, and full-text reviews.
- Articles from over 550 education journals; indexing 1983-, abstracts 1994-, select full text 1996-
The following are journals CSUN owns in paper and electronically. The links to the journal titles go to the journal title's catalog record in CSUN Catalog: Periodicals. The catalog record gives you the call number for the journal in print and also provides a link to the online journal when journal is available online.
Library Catalog Periodical Title Search gives you access to over 25,000 electronic journals. To search for electronic periodicals only, check the "Search electronic periodicals only" checkbox.
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education and Dance (http://www.aahperd.org/)
- Amateur Athletic Foundation of Los Angeles (http://www.aafla.org/) Also look at its Virtual Archives
- The International Journal of Applied Kinesiology and Kinesiologic Medicine (http://www.kinmed.com/)
- American Society of Exercise Physiologists http://www.asep.org/
- National Athletic Trainers' Association http://www.nata.org/
- MedlinePlus http://medlineplus.gov/ good resource for diseases
- Mining Co. Guide to: Sports Medicine http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/paininjury1/u/Injuries.htm
- Virtual Body (http://www.medtropolis.com/VBody.asp)
- "Doctoral Information - The Online Virtual Human Body" - http://www.onlinephdprograms.com/resources/virtual-human-body.html
- New York Public Library's Dance Collection catalog
- Kinesiology Network
- Best of Biomechanics
- Sports Medicine on the Web
- American Statistics Society Sport Links
- University of Calgary's Scholarly Sport Sites