Students will use the information, strategies, and research tools presented in the Library presentations to complete a research assignment. Carefully read the descriptions and instructions before beginning your work. Questions on the research strategies and tools should be directed to the Reference Librarians. Questions regarding due dates, point value for completion of the assignment, or appropriateness of topic selection should be directed to the University 100 instructor.
Overview of Research Assignment
Students will develop a more in-depth understanding of topics as defined and discussed in course textbooks. This will be achieved through the use of research strategies and a systematic exploration of appropriate information sources introduced in the library lectures. Students will document their research by creating an annotated bibliography using the topic selected and discussed in class and by answering a summary question on the research process as instructed below.
- The annotated bibliography will contain 3-5 sources using a standard form/style (such as MLA or APA) for the reference citations.
- Of the 3-5 sources in the annotated bibliography, at least 1 should be a book, 1 should be a periodical article, and 1 should be a world wide web source.
- Each source listed will also include a 3-5 sentence annotation which will describe the relevance between the information in the source and the topic of the research.
- The annotated bibliography should be typed single spaced with one inch margins top, bottom, left, and right.
- A cover sheet giving the title/research topic, student name, and Univ. 100 lab instructor's name should be included.
- The completed annotated bibliography is due to your University 100 instructors on the date announced in class. Students who turn in the assignment earlier will have the opportunity to improve their grade by correcting errors and resubmitting the assignment to their instructors.
Consult your professor for your research topic.
Research Journal Sheet
For each of the sources that you find and intend to use for your annotated bibliography, you must complete the Research Journal Sheet (MS Word). This will help you to evaluate these sources. Remember to print out several copies, so you have one for each of your sources.
Summary Activity: What Did You Learn?
When you have completed your annotated bibliography, answer the following question in one page or less and attach to your annotated bibliography:
In the Library presentation, you learned about new resources to use for doing your research, besides Internet search engines like Google. What do you think can be the advantages of using an online database such as General OneFile or Lexis-Nexis instead of Google for doing research for your classes?
Assignment Points and Grading
Consult your course syllabus and/or instructor for information on point values and grading for the library research assignment.