Special Collections & Archives materials are available for use in the Special Collections Reading Room, and are not circulated outside that room except for exhibitions in the Library or at other institutions. Special Collections & Archives staff retrieves all collection materials from its stacks and other storage spaces for researchers to use in the reading room. To prepare for your visit, please review our Reading Room Guidelines below, as well as our Duplication Services.
- Materials in Special Collections & Archives are non-circulating, and may only be consulted when the department is open. Materials requested 15 minutes before close will be available at 9:00 AM the following business day.
- To request materials, complete a Researcher Registration Form and present a current form of photo identification (either CSUN I.D., or government-issued photo identification, etc.)
- Staff will issue researchers a locker key to store personal belongings such as backpacks, purses, briefcases, computer cases, and loose articles of clothing.
- We prefer that your personal research material be stored in your locker. If necessary, staff can review and stamp personal research material before it is brought into the reading room.
- Notes should be taken with the pencils and paper provided by reading room staff. Ink pens and mechanical pencils are strictly prohibited.
- Digital cameras can be used with the flash turned off.
- Please respect others in the reading room. If you need to talk, please keep your voice low.
- Please silence your cell phone. If you need to take a call, please step outside.
- No food or beverages, including water, are allowed in the reading room.
- Please take care to schedule sufficient time to conduct your research in the reading room.
- Special Collections & Archives reserves the right to inspect all research materials and personal articles before researchers make duplications or exit the reading room. Please note that the reading room is monitored by surveillance cameras and recorded on video at all times.
- If necessary, reading room staff will help you and provide specific handling instructions. Cotton gloves will be provided as needed.
- Keep materials flat on the table at all times. Please do not lean on, write on, mark, fold, erase, or trace over collection materials.
- One box or book is allowed on the table at a time. The exact order of documents, folders, and unbound materials must be maintained. Only one file folder may be removed from a box at a time. When removing a file folder, please insert the “Out” card provided to mark your place. Use the flags provided as place markers for duplications.
- If you discover mistakes in filing or damage to materials, please alert Reading Room staff. Do not rearrange materials yourself.
- Please let Reading Room staff know when you have finished working. If you plan to return, we can hold materials under your name for one week.
Please contact Special Collections & Archives staff with any questions prior to your visit at (818) 677-2832 or firstname.lastname@example.org.