Circulating materials may be checked out at the Circulation Desk in the first floor lobby. The loan period for most borrowers is two weeks. CSUN students, faculty and staff must always present a current CSUN I.D. card to check out materials.
- Undergraduates may check out 20 items at one time for 2 weeks; each item may be renewed a maximum of 3 times.
- Graduate students (both doctoral and masters) may check out 30 items at one time for 4 weeks; each item may be renewed a maximum of 5 times.
- Students may not check out periodicals.
- Staff may check out 30 items at one time for 2 weeks; each item may be renewed a maximum of 5 times.
See Faculty Borrowing Privileges for circulation policies applying to CSUN faculty.
Friends, Alumni, visitors and other courtesy card holders may have 10 items checked out at one time. Each item may be renewed once.
Course Reserve materials may be checked out at the following locations, as determined by the instructor:
- Reserves, Periodicals and Microforms desk, fourth floor east
- Music & Media, second floor east
- Teacher Curriculum Center, garden level east
Reserve materials can only be renewed in person at the location where they were checked out.
Interlibrary Loan Materials
Items requested through Interlibrary Loan may be picked up and checked out at the Interlibrary Loan Office, Room 109.
Interlibrary Loan materials may or may not be renewable. See the Interlibrary Loan FAQ page for more information.
You can renew circulating library-owned materials four ways:
- Log in to your Library Record to renew online
- Email a renewal request using our online renewal form
- Renew items by phone by calling (818) 677-4745 (available 24 hours a day)
- Bring items to the Circulation Desk during regular library hours
Two-week loan items may only be renewed within 5 days of the due date. Once you have renewed an item the maximum number of times, you must return it. Overdue books and books on hold for other users cannot be renewed.
A request to search for and/or put a hold on Library materials may be placed through the online catalog or at the Circulation Desk. After Circulation receives the item(s) a notification will be sent to you, and the located/recalled item(s) will be held for you for one week. Not all Library materials are subject to a hold. Holds on Teacher Curriculum Center (TCC) items must be requested in person at the TCC services desk (Room 26).
The Oviatt Library now notifies patrons via e-mail when items are overdue and when search-hold requests become available. These e-mails are sent only to the patron's official CSUN e-mail address; please be sure to activate your official CSUN e-mail address and check your e-mail so that you can receive these notices. You may address any questions about e-mail notices to the Circulation staff at (818) 677-2274.