Embedding a Librarian into Your Moodle or Canvas Course
What a librarian can do you in your class:
- Answer research/library related questions in a discussion forum
- Create resource pages, tutorials and quizzes for your class.
- Collaborate with you to find out the best resources to assist your students.
If you want to embed a librarian into to your course, contact that librarian to discuss what the role of the librarian will entail . The librarian will then monitor Moodle to see what questions students may have. Find your librarian by visiting the library's Subject Specialist list.
Follow these steps to embed a librarian in Canvas:
- From your Canvas course homepage, click on "people" from the menu on the left hand side.
- Click on the button "+ People."
- Enter the librarian's email address, then choose "librarian" from the dropdown menu labeled "role."
- Click "next" and your librarian will be sent a notification through Canvas and they'll be asked to accept your course invitation.
Follow these steps to embed a librarian in Moodle:
- Go to the "Subject Specialists" here list to find your subject librarian.
- From your Moodle course's homepage, under the "Administration" box on the left hand select "Users"
- Then select "Enrolled Users"
- Then select "Enroll Users" in the upper right hand side of the page.
- A small pop-up window displays, in the "Assign roles" pull-down menu, select "Librarian."
- At the bottom of the pop-up window, enter the librarian's name or email address and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- The librarian's name displays in the pop-up window. Select the Enroll button next to his/her name.
- Select the Finish enrolling users" button at the bottom of the pop-up window.
- The librarian's name displays under the "Enrolled" users list.