CSUN faculty may borrow up to 100 circulating books for a period of up to one year, depending on when you checked the book out. Materials on loan to faculty are due back each February 28th. Faculty may renew items once, for an additional one-year loan. Faculty are encouraged to return books that they no longer need, so that others may have access to them.
- Reference materials shelved IN the reference room and designated with the catalog location code "Reference Room" are NOT available for loan.
- CSUN faculty and staff wishing to borrow reference items are required to bring those materials to the first floor reference desk to receive loan approval and a library "exception" gate pass from a librarian. Once approved, reference books must then be formally checked out at the Library's Guest Services Desk where the item will be stamped with the date due.
- Loan period: Reference items borrowed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday are due the following day at 12:00 noon. Items borrowed on Friday are due that SAME day at 4:45 p.m. Reference materials DO NOT circulate over (or during) the weekend.
- Reference items must be returned directly to the Guest Services Desk.
- Two overdue reference items may result in the cancellation of this privilege for the remainder of the academic year.
Overnight Periodical Loan:
Another special privilege for faculty is overnight borrowing of periodicals, both bound and unbound. This is intended to allow copying of needed articles using department facilities. Periodicals checked out during the week are due the following day at noon. Periodicals do not circulate over the weekend. If they are checked out on a Friday, they are due that day at 5:00 p.m. Check out and return periodicals at the Periodicals & Microform Desk, fourth floor, east wing. Two overdue periodicals will result in the cancellation of periodical check-out privileges for the remainder of the academic year. Periodicals do not circulate to students.
Faculty have the responsibility to respond promptly to recall notices. When a hold is placed on a book borrowed by a faculty member, Circulation staff create a recall and reset the due date of the item. If the faculty member has had the item for less than two weeks, the due date is reset to two weeks from the date of loan; otherwise the due date is reset to the date of the recall. A recall notice is sent to the faculty member, who is expected to return the item immediately so that we may meet the need of the person who placed the hold. Circulation is also happy to place a hold for the faculty member who returns the item(s), if the faculty member needs the item(s) again. Also, please return Library materials you will not be actively using if you will be away from campus for an extended period of time. This will help avoid recall problems.
Emeritus Faculty are entitled to a Library card that allows full use of the University Library, including Interlibrary Loan and any special faculty facilities in the Library, including study carrels.
Responsibilities of Faculty Upon Resignation
Faculty leaving the employ of the University are expected to return all Library materials. Retiring faculty who are granted Emeritus status retain faculty borrowing privileges. Part-time faculty who are not employed for the current semester must return all borrowed items.