The Oviatt Library provides a variety of services and resources for its many Oviatt library cardholders and visitors.
- CSUN Emeritus Faculty
- CSUN Emeritus Faculty continue their library privileges which allow full use of the Library, including Interlibrary Loan, remote access to databases via the Library's Proxy Server, and any special faculty facilities in the Library, including study rooms.
- Other CSU Faculty
- Other CSU Faculty are allowed borrowing privileges. Application must be accompanied by a current campus I.D.
- Courtesy Cardholders
(Apply at the Circulation Desk; cards are issued for a one-year period). Courtesy cardholders have check-out privileges, but may have no more than 10 items checked out at any one time. Courtesy cardholders are also limited by other restrictions as noted below. Eligible categories of persons are:
- Persons living with and sponsored by CSUN faculty and staff.
- Children of CSUN faculty and staff.
- Faculty members from non-CSU universities, colleges and other post-secondary education institutions. Applications must be accompanied by a current, valid identification card from the institution.
- Master teachers and "other members" of the Los Angeles City School system who are identified by the College of Education as directly connected with CSUN's student teaching program.
- Members of alumni associations of CSU campuses (applications must be accompanied by a current, valid membership card).
- Retired CSUN staff. A letter from their department/area verifying their status should be presented to Circulation. Retired status may additionally be confirmed by contacting Human Resources.
- Other CSU campus students, staff and retired staff with campus identification.
- CSUN campus ministers.
- Members of CSUN's Foundation Board, President's Council or Business Council. Applications must be accompanied by a letter from the Foundation.
- Granada Hills Magnet Teachers on a pre-approved list.
- CSUN Arts Council Volunteers with proof of current volunteer status.
- Granada Hills Magnet Students on a pre-approved list. 3 item limit.
- Advanced Placement High School Students from designated schools and referred by their librarian (3 item limit).
- Friends of the Library
- Friends of the Library, a Library support group, is open for a fee to all who wish to apply for membership and who complete a mail-in application obtained at the Circulation Desk. Most membership categories allow check-out privileges for circulating materials, but are limited by restrictions as noted below. Issuance of cards takes 5 to 10 business days.
- Business Users
- Businesses and organizations located in the University's service area may join the Friends of the Library to obtain Library privileges.
- Visitors Without Library Cards
- Visitors without Library cards do not have check-out privileges but may use Library materials in-house, except for restrictions as noted below.
- Government Document User
- United States and California Government Depository materials are freely available to the general public who have equal access to these materials with all other Library users.
Many of the resources in the Library web pages have licenses which restrict their use to our currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff. Resources that are available to everyone may be found at our page of Research Resources for Friends, Alumni and Visitors.
Group and individual study rooms, Interlibrary Loan, lockers, and on-line computer searches performed by a Librarian are limited to CSUN faculty, staff and currently enrolled CSUN students. Use of some electronic databases is limited to CSU students and faculty. The following categories are restricted during periods of high student use, i.e., CSU students, faculty and staff and those using U.S. and California Government Depository materials have first priority:
- Computer Workstations
- Audio-visual materials
- Microform reader-printers
- Reference Desk services
NOTE: Library use by CSUN students continues to increase. Visitors should be prepared for frequent restriction of the services listed above.