The Oviatt offers both Individual and Group Study Rooms for CSUN students to use. Individual study rooms are located on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. Those located along the south wall of the building are available on a first come first serve basis. Those along the north side of the wall (on the 2nd and 3rd floors) must be reserved using our online reservation system. Group study rooms are located in the Learning Commons on the main floor, as well as floors 2, 3 and 4. These study rooms must be reserved using our online reservation system:
General Study Room Policies
- Group study rooms are available and dedicated for use by CSUN students (2 or more) for collaborative study and group projects.
- Individual study rooms can only accommodate one CSUN student.
- Reservations must be made by a student with an @csun.edu or @my.csun.edu email address.
- Reservations must be confirmed by email within 30 minutes of making the reservation.
- By confirming the reservation, students agree that the group study rooms will be used by a group of two or more students.
- Students are highly encouraged to bring a (print or digital) copy of their confirmation as proof of reservation.
- Students are allowed to reserve up to a maximum of 2 hours per day, and 14 hours per week (including weekends), up to two weeks in advance.
- The Library reserves the right to ask single occupants -- with or without confirmed reservations -- to vacate a room immediately for a group of two or more CSUN students.
- If a group doesn’t show up within 10 minutes of the start of the reservation, it has forfeited the reservation. Any group can use it for the remainder of that half hour block.
- Posters, notes, and other items may not be hung on walls or windows. Windows are not to be covered or obstructed.
- Lights must remain on at all times.
- Maximum occupancy limits must be adhered to or group study room privileges may be lost.
- The Library is not responsible for the security of personal items. Any items left in rooms after the end of the reservation period may be removed by Library staff and placed in the Library's lost and found.
- Failure to comply with established policies may result in suspension of group study room privileges and/or other library privileges.
- Graduate Study Rooms are NOT included in this reservation form. Go to Guests Services Checkout Desk in lobby for access to these.
Locked study cubicles are available to faculty who have long-term projects that require easy access to Library materials. These cubicles are shared by two to four faculty members, and may be used to store personal materials and circulating Library materials that are properly checked out. Reference materials and uncharged circulating materials must not be left in faculty study rooms, as they are rendered unavailable and untraceable if they are locked up. When a faculty study room is no longer needed the key should be returned to Circulation.
Study rooms located in the west wing, lower level and on the fourth floor along the north wall, are for use by faculty and graduate students. Inquire at the Circulation Desk for availability and sign-up.