THE DOCUMENTATION ON THESE PAGES IS INTENDED FOR USE BY OVIATT LIBRARY FACULTY. NON-LIBRARY CSUN FACULTY SHOULD CONTACT CSUN IT FOR HELP SETTING UP WEB SITES ON THE CAMPUS SERVER
Creating, Saving and Uploading a Page
Creating a Template-based Page
- Click File > New. When the New Document
dialog box opens, select the Templates tab.
- Select the name of your site in the left column, and the name of the
template you want to use (peoplepage now serves for all librarian pages) in
the right column. Click the Create button. (NOTE: you cannot see the template header and footer until you upload the page to the server)
- You can insert and edit content within the blue outlines (called "editable
Adding and Editing Content
- Type a heading at the top and format
it as h1.
- Type or paste in content. If you want to copy and paste text from another web page, open that
page in a browser and copy from the browser display. This will prevent
HTML code from being transferred.
- Format text into paragraphs headings, and
- Add links as desired.
- Insert data and/or layout tables as desired.
- Insert images and adjust image properties
- Insert rules or special characters.
Saving Your Page
Save your page by pressing Ctrl-s or clicking File > Save
in the top menu bar. When saving the page:
- Make sure you give your page a title: type it in Title
box next to the Viewing Options
buttons and press the Enter key.
- Save your file in your personal folder in the H:\WebSite2 folder (not
on your local hard drive)
- Save the file with any name you wish (just be aware there can be no spaces),
and an .html file extension.
- The file name of your "top" personal page needs to be index.html
Uploading Your Page
- In the Files
panel, click the refresh button and/or click your personal folder to
open it and reveal the page you just saved.
- Select the file you want to upload and click the Upload
("Put") button in the Files panel.
- IMPORTANT!! The first time you
upload to or download from your site Dreamweaver will ask you "Included
Dependent Files?" Select No, and check the "Do
not ask me again" box.
- Don't forget to open your images folder and upload any
images used in your page.
NOTE: Refreshing page template
From time to time we may need to update code in the templates. To refresh the template content for your page, do the following:
- Download the most current version of your page to your H:\WebSite2 folder using the Files Panel. Open the page.
- Select Modify > Templates > Update Current Page
- Save the page and reupload.