Resources for Business and Economics Faculty
Embed a Librarian in Moodle or Canvas
What a librarian can do you in your class:
- Answer research/library related questions in a discussion forum
- Create resource pages, tutorials and quizzes for your class.
- Collaborate with you to find out the best resources to assist your students.
If you want to embed a librarian into to your course, contact that librarian to discuss what the role of the librarian will entail . The librarian will then monitor Moodle to see what questions students may have. Find your librarian by visiting the library's Subject Specialist list.
Follow these steps to embed a librarian in Canvas:
- From your Canvas course homepage, click on "people" from the menu on the left hand side.
- Click on the button "+ People."
- Enter the librarian's email address, then choose "librarian" from the dropdown menu labeled "role."
- Click "next" and your librarian will be sent a notification through Canvas and they'll be asked to accept your course invitation.
Follow these steps to embed a librarian in Moodle:
- From your Moodle course's homepage, find "Administration" on the left-hand side of the page.
- Select "Users."
- Select the "Enroll users" button on the right-hand side of the page. A small pop-up window displays.
- In the "Assign roles" pull-down menu, select "Librarian."
- At the bottom of the pop-up window, enter the librarian's name or email address and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- The librarian's name displays in the pop-up window. Select the Enroll button next to his/her name.
- Select the Finish enrolling users" button at the bottom of the pop-up window.
- The librarian's name displays under the "Enrolled" users list.
Embed Subject Databases
- Select a subject on the "Find Articles by Subject" here. On the right-hand side of the subject page, select "Embed Subject on an External Website."
- Using the "Display Options" box on the left-hand side of the screen, choose how you want the subject databases to look.
- Choose the "Refresh" button after making your selections to see how the databases will display on your page.
- Save your Moodle page or web page after copying the code.
Embed Course Reserves Box
Following these instructions to embed a search box into your Moodle page or other web page. You will need access to the HTML code on your page:
- Go to the reserves.txt file here to access the HTML code for the search box.
- Copy the code.
- Paste the code into your Moodle page or another web page.
- Save your page.
For step-by-step instructions for adding this in Moodle, please visit the CSUN Moodle Community Page. The directions are located under "Library Resources in Moodle."
Business and Economics Resources
Embed or Stream Video
Embed Video in Moodle Course
The Oviatt Library subscribes to many streaming video databases. To embed a link to a video in one of our databases just look for a "permalink" or "persistent URL" or "title URL." To use the embedded code for viewing within Moodle look for a link to the embed code and copy and paste in Moodle. Please note: if you try to embed the video in Moodle and you get a blank screen, this is because of a security setting in the browser, just click on the shield symbol in the address bar and allow the unsecure content to be displayed.
Check out this short video that demonstrates how to find and embed permalinks to articles and streaming video.