Books and Journals About Health Statistics
Browsing: Many older health statistics books and serials are located in the Library of Congress call number starting with RA407 on Floor 4 of the Oviatt Library. Additional locations possible are Stored(ASRS East), and the Reference Room now called the Oviatt Learning Commons. Most sources of health statistics data are available online from its agency.
Searching: Use the Library Catalog to find books and journals on a topic. If you don't know a specific title, then start with a KEYWORD search, for example: public health los angeles county. Another approach is to search by known Library of Congress subject headings. The following links search the catalog with SUBJECT HEADINGS
- California --Statistics, medical -- pay attention to the agencies and see if you can find the equivalent online resource
- Los Angeles County (Calif.)--Statistics, Medical
Note: Many of the publications you find in the catalog may now also be available on the Internet. Catalog records often, as of now, reflect what we have in print but you will gain sufficient information on the agency to search on the Internet for current.
Databases and Indexes
Los Angeles Area
- Health and Wellness Chapter (Los Angeles City's Dept of Planning)-- links to ongoing statistical reports, and currently provides links to the Health Atlas,
- San Fernando Valley Statistics and Facts: Health
- Print copy of the Los Angeles County zip code databook. The call number is HA267.L7 L573. It is shelved on Floor 2, Stack 28 . This helpful databook offered a variety of demographic and health access information by zip code for the Los Angeles service planning areas. Comparable data can be found using the Healthy City web site.
- Los Angeles County Public Health Vital Statistics reports -- Includes links to Mortality in Los Angeles County Leading Causes of death and premature death with trends for 1997-2006, offers statistics for the county and Service Planning Areas (SPA). Mortality trends for Alzheimer's disease, Breast Cancer, Colorectal cancer, Coronary heart disease, Diabetes, Drug overdose, Emphysema/COPD, Homicide, HIV, Liver Disease, Lung cancer, Motor vehicle crash, Pneumonia/influenza, Stroke, Suicide, All Causes of Death (Males/Females, White, Hispanic, Black, Asian/Pacific Islander, and SPAs 1-8)
- Also has links LA County Health Assessment reports/ factsheets at http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/ha/
- 2007 Key Indicators of Health Report (Press Release 06/16/2009 11am PST) http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/ha/docs/2007%20LACHS/Key_Indicator_2007/KIHReport.2009.FINAL.pdf
- Healthy City a very large online source of community resource information and demographic,economic, and health data for LA County. Its URL is http://www.healthycity.org/ .
- The Health of California's Adults, Adolescents and Children: Findings from CHIS 2005 and 2003 by the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research.
- California Health Interview Suvey at http://www.chis.ucla.edu/ AskCHIS, the free online web tool that enables users of all skill levels to search for health statistics on their county, region, or statewide, using data from the California Health Interview Survey (CHIS)
- California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development Looks also for itsCalifornia Health Care Atlas
- The California Endowment at http://www.calendow.org/The California Endowment is a private, statewide health foundation
- Health Statistics on MedlinePlus
- State Health Facts offers health status indicators and much more. This site is done by Henry Kaiser Foundation
- National Center for Health Statistics Note its Publications and Information products the data series are online Look also for its Health United States
- Health Data Tools and Statistics A collaboration of U.S. government agencies, public health organizations and health sciences libraries
- Health data from Pan American Health Organization
- Library Lectures:Health Sciences , by Marcia Henry Look for HS 441
- Health Information from the Federal Government , at ( http://library.csun.edu/Guides/GovPubs-Health by Kathy Dabbour, Government. Documents Librarian
- Health Information by Zip Code , by Kathy Dabbour, Government Documents Librarian
- Finding Statistics, by Mary Finley, now retired CSUN Government Documents Librarian