Goals for this library session - learn about the following resources
- Answer any questions you may have about doing library research
Learn to use the following databases:
- OneSearch searches 150 databases including the Library Catalog. OneSearch retrievals need to be saved, view saved record, and see there is a link to Export citation into EndNoteWeb
- EndNoteWeb - sign up for your free citation management database-helps you to organize the bibliographic citations you are finding, helps with citing using APA 6th style. You can edit the information in your personal database, write Research notes.
- EbscoHost databases including Academic Search Elite, ERIC, Education Full Text, CINAHLPlus, PsycInfo
- PubMed and MedlinePlus databases from NLM - pointed out that PubMed, an index to the biomedical literature, has a very structured vocabulary called MeSH, Medical Subject headings. Putting in a keyword search may well be reworded byPubMed to a more complex search strategy. MedlinePlus is the consumer health web pages created by National Library of Medicine,
- Google Scholar - demonstrated how to change the settings (settings is in the top right corner), need to adjust the Library Links on the left, and on the main page, at the bottom, change the Bibliography manager. In Library links, you want to search for CSUN, when it is retrieved, check the box and save. The Bibliography Manager should be changed to Show links to import to Refman (RefMan produces an RIS file which is recognized in the library to open EndNoteWeb
Citing your sources EndNote Web
- Learn how to sign up and use Endnote Web . You can import bibliographic records from a variety of resources to create your own personal database of articles, books, websites. Use EndNote Web to collect, manage, and create a bibliography or works cited list from your citations.
Registration is free while you are a student. First time, to sign up for your EndNoteWeb account, you can connect directly to http://library.csun.edu/restricted/endnote.scr. In addition to asking Marcia Henry and other librarians for help, Endnote Web will also answer your questions about installing the Cite While you Write plugin for Microsoft Word on your own computer. If you install Cite While You Write plugin on your own computer in your MicroSoft Word, be sure to set Preferences so it goes to the url:
on your own computer you can put in the working email address you used to sign up with EndNoteWeb, your password, and check Keep me logged in.
Tutorials for Endnote Web are provided at library.csun.edu/FindResources/i-Endnoteweb
Endnote Web technical support's telephone number is (800)336-4474
Call Monday-Friday 6:00am-5:00 pm (Pacific Coast Time)
- Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (print version)
- Sample Style Sheet for APA Bibliographic Citatons (PDF) by Dr. Karin Durán
- Sample APA-Style Annotated Bibliography (PDF) by Dr. Karin Durán
- APA Style Guide (PDF) by Eric Garcia
- APA - Frequently Asked Questions
- Citing Archival Materials in APA
Scholarly Journals (Peer-reviewed/Referreed)
- Authors are authorities in their fields.
- Authors cite their sources in endnotes, footnotes, or bibliographies.
- Individual issues have little or no advertising.
- Articles must go through a peer-review or refereed process.
- Articles are usually reports on scholarly research.
- Illustrations usually take the form of charts and graphs.
- Articles use jargon of the discipline.