Welcome EOH 554 students!
Goals of today's library lecture are:
- Learn how to use the Library Catalog and WorldCat to find books and journals, in print and online, which CSUN owns.
- Learn about Interlibrary Loan if the library does NOT own the item you need
- Learn about Find Text menu
- Learn about Find Articles By Subject Environmental + Occupational Health
Learn a lot about PubMed at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?otool=cacsunlib
- MeSH Medical Subject Headings aand subheadings
- Toxicology, Toxnet and MedlinePlus -additional PubMed Special Queries interfaces
- Learn how to set preferences in Google Scholar, find citing articles -http://scholar.google.com
- Learn how to cite your sources
Finding Articles in Magazines, Journals, and Newspapers
Pick a database recommended for your subject from Find Articles by Subject and then search using keywords.
To locate the full text of an article:
- If full-text is available in the database, click on the link to full text (HTML or PDF).
- If full-text isn't available in the database, click the button to see if we have access to the article in another database or in print in the library
- If no Find Text button is available or you didn't find the article through our databases, search for the magazine or journal title using the Journals tab in the library catalog.
- If the full text isn't available through the Library, you can request an Interlibrary Loan for the article(s) that you need. However, you must allow about two weeks for this!
Check for Full Text Using Find Text
If the article isn't available full text in the database you are searching, click the button to see if we have access to the full text through another database or in print. A new page opens that will have one or more of the following links:
- Full text available via [database name]: Click to access the full-text online. If the link takes you to a publication-level page, you can navigate to the article by first choosing the correct year, then the correct month or volume number, then the issue, and then selecting the article from the displayed table of contents.
- We have this. Check availability in CSU Northridge Catalog: We have the article in print. Click to view the catalog record for the journal or magazine. You'll need to note the call number and then go to the fourth floor to get the article.
- Request document via Interlibrary Loan: We do not have the article online or in print. You can request the article via interlibrary loan (takes approximately ten working days).
For more information, see About Find Text.
Citing your sources EndNote Web
- Learn how to sign up and use Endnote Web . You can import bibliographic records from a variety of resources to create your own personal database of articles, books, websites. Use EndNote Web to collect, manage, and create a bibliography or works cited list from your citations.
Registration is free while you are a student. First time, to sign up for your EndNoteWeb account, you can connect directly to http://library.csun.edu/restricted/endnote.scr. In addition to asking Marcia Henry and other librarians for help, Endnote Web will also answer your questions about installing the Cite While you Write plugin for Microsoft Word on your own computer. If you install Cite While You Write plugin on your own computer in your MicroSoft Word, be sure to set Preferences so it goes to the url:
on your own computer you can put in the working email address you used to sign up with EndNoteWeb, your password, and check Keep me logged in.
Tutorials for Endnote Web are provided at library.csun.edu/FindResources/i-Endnoteweb
Endnote Web technical support's telephone number is (800)336-4474
Call Monday-Friday 6:00am-5:00 pm (Pacific Coast Time)