Professors Jim Sherman, Cathy Rusch's Assignment:
- Find 4 scholarly, peer reviewed articles and 1 book on Emotional Intelligence in healthcare. Use the health care or management databases to identify the journal articles. Use the Library Catalog or WorldCat to identify a book. Prepare a list of the 5 items using APA style. You need to explain if the library owns the item, can you get it online or only in print, and if the library does not own it, remember to mention you would need to use Interlibrary Loan to obtain it. IF you signed up for a free EndNote Web account, and you are using EndNote Web to create your List of 5 citations in APA style with an annotation indicating if you find the article in one of our database, say which database, if we do not own the journal, either online or inprint, explain you understand you can get the article on Interlibrary Loan if needed, if it is a book and it is a book we own in print you should add the information about the Floor # call number, if the book is an ebook you need to add the information as part of the APA citation Retrieved from XXXXX (database name)
For guidance on spacing and how to Cite Journals and books APA Style 6th please refer to Eric Garcia's
Professor Joni Novosel's Goals for this class:
" cover APA formatting for research papers, how to conduct online research for references and teach them how to find peer reviewed articles. They will then be assigned to create a What is Health Care Administration/Management/Leadership paper."
The following topics are pointed out in the library session:
- Research Strategies: A Five-Step Guide -- currently has tips for how to get started, find sources, write, and cite using the databases interface. This semester we have a brand new discovery system
- called OneSearch . OneSearch will search 150 databases and retrievals can be modified in different ways which will be demonstrated in class.
- Databases by Subject to identify useful databases. Most databases offer Find Text link for each record which helps you identify if CSUN owns the item. If CSUN does not own the item, it will offer a link to the ILL loan service.
- Select Databases by Subject Health Sciences + Nursing - you can link directly into
- PubMed - includes Medline, MedlinePlus, and several other databases. Learn about MeSH subject headings, and creating a NCBI account .Be sure to use CSUN's link which offers http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?otool=cacsunlib
- CINAHLPlus(EbscoHost) -has controlled vocabulary ( subject headings), has citation tools for help with APA style plus an easy to use EXPORT citation information into EndNote Web.
- Health Reference Center Academic (Gale) and General OneFile (Gale)- has controlled vocabulary ( subject headings), has citation tools for help with APA style .
- ABI Inform Complete (Proquest) - has several health administrations journals as well as newspapers.
- Library Catalog to find books and journals on your topic.
- Google Scholar remember to Set Google Scholar preferences for CSUN Find text.
Register for CSUN's Interlibrary Loan
Many of our databases as well as the Find Text menu (click More options, then save citation information) offer help in How to cite.
Library also has extensive help for Citing Your Sources
Registered students also can open a free Endnote web account. If you want to install the EndNote Web plugin for MicroSoft Word on your personal computer and encounter problems, you can also contact Endnote Web technical support at 800-336-4474(Monday -Friday, 6:00 am -5:00 pm Pacific Time)
Citing your sources EndNote Web
- Learn how to sign up and use Endnote Web . You can import bibliographic records from a variety of resources to create your own personal database of articles, books, websites. Use EndNote Web to collect, manage, and create a bibliography or works cited list from your citations.
Registration is free while you are a student. First time, to sign up for your EndNoteWeb account, you can connect directly to http://library.csun.edu/restricted/endnote.scr. In addition to asking Marcia Henry and other librarians for help, Endnote Web will also answer your questions about installing the Cite While you Write plugin for Microsoft Word on your own computer. If you install Cite While You Write plugin on your own computer in your MicroSoft Word, be sure to set Preferences so it goes to the url:
on your own computer you can put in the working email address you used to sign up with EndNoteWeb, your password, and check Keep me logged in.
Tutorials for Endnote Web are provided at library.csun.edu/FindResources/i-Endnoteweb
Endnote Web technical support's telephone number is (800)336-4474
Call Monday-Friday 6:00am-5:00 pm (Pacific Coast Time)