- Research Strategies: A Five-Step Guide -- tips for how to get started, find sources, write, and cite
Goals of the Library Session
- Learn how to search the database(s) and look for peer reviewed credible articles.
- Know your assignment: (
I. Who is the Target Group (25 points)
a. Identify a cultural/ethnic group
i. Provide current statistics relating to cultural/ethnic group
1. General Statistics
2. Specific statistics related to health and healthcare
b. Describe the general belief of this cultural/ethnic group in terms of healthcare and medicine
c. Describe specific health related issues that are prevalent within in this cultural/ethnic group
II. What are their problems/barriers to health care? (20 points)
a. Identify and describe at least five barriers or problems preventing the target group from engaging in or receiving healthcare. Please utilize at least three peer reviewed articles to support your descriptions.
III. What is being done about the presented problems/barriers? (20 points)
a. Identify and describe at least 2 marketing strategies, interventions, programs that are focused on resolving these issues. If no programs are currently in place, please identify and describe prior programs and discuss why they are no longer in place.
IV. Who is involved in servicing this target groups needs? (20 points)
a. Identify at least 2 key persons, advocates, organizations, congressmen, politicians, coalitions, etc. that are focused on resolving these issues and describe what actions they are taking or are trying to put in place. This must be separate from the above section.
V. Recommendations (25 points)
a. What recommendations do you have in regards to resolving these issues and improving health care for this target group or improving health communication and promotion for this target group?
Target Groups:/Cultural Ethnic Groups -The students have picked the following ethnic/cultural groups:
Hispanic Females (25-31)
Hispanic Female Children
Asian American Women
Middle Eastern Women
African America living in Southern US
African American Women (Young Adults)
Native American Adults
- Catalog record for Health People 2010
- Library Catalog -- search the library catalog for books, journal titles, media and other materials
Search the library's databases to find journal, magazine and newspaper articles.
Use Find Text to identify if CSUN has access, if NOT can request on Interlibrary Loan
News, Current Events, General Information
- Healthy People website offers its own current news at http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/Connect/Default.aspx
- MedlinePlus Health News -- up-to-date health information from the National Library of Medicine
- Newspaper resources identified on Find Articles by Subject select News and Current Issues at http://library.csun.edu/xerxes/categories/news-current-issues
- Academic Search Elite -- a general/multi-subject database useful for finding general, non-scientific articles but also includes a lot of scholarly, peer reviewed journal articles
- Gale Health Reference Center -- search over 900 health and allied health journals with full text articles in 686 journals
Scholarly Journals and Scientific Information
- CINAHL Plus -- scholarly journals from nursing, medicine, and consumer health
- GoogleScholar -- scholarly materials such as peer-reviewed articles, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and reports across many disciplines
- PsycINFO - indexes psychology literature
- PubMed -- indexes over 5000 scholarly and research journal articles in medicine, allied health, chemistry, and more. Many links to open access (free articles)
- ScienceDirect -- search full-text journals published by Elsevier
- see additional resources on Find Articles by Subject select Health Sciences + Nursing at http://library.csun.edu/xerxes/databases/subject/health-sciences-nursing
- Web of Science -Multidisciplinary database providing access to citations from more than 12,000 research journals worldwide. Includes the following citation databases: Arts & Humanities Citation Index (1975-present); Science Citation Index Expanded (1900-present); and Social Sciences Citation Index (1900-present). Cited reference searching is available. Same vendor offers MEDLINE (ISI) and works very well with once you creat your account assigning a working email address and an 8 character password, not all letters, at least 1 number and 1 unusual character EndNote Web/Endnote Basic/ Endnote Online
Scholarly Journals (Peer-reviewed/Referreed)
- Authors are authorities in their fields.
- Authors cite their sources in endnotes, footnotes, or bibliographies.
- Individual issues have little or no advertising.
- Articles must go through a peer-review or refereed process.
- Articles are usually reports on scholarly research.
- Illustrations usually take the form of charts and graphs.
- Articles use jargon of the discipline.
Citation Formatting Tools
- Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (print version)
- Sample Style Sheet for APA Bibliographic Citatons (PDF) by Dr. Karin Durán
- Sample APA-Style Annotated Bibliography (PDF) by Dr. Karin Durán
- APA Style Guide (PDF) by Eric Garcia
- APA - Frequently Asked Questions
- Citing Archival Materials in APA