Types of Articles
Not all articles are the same. If you assignment requires peer-reviewed articles, you will need to evaluate the article to make sure it is appropriate and not a popular source.
- Articles are published in Newspapers, Magazines, and Journals
- Popular Sources = Newspapers and Magazines
- Journals = peer reviewed or academic or scholarly
- Journals have citations at the end of the article and are usually over five pages in length
- Check Ulrich's to see if a journal is peer-reviewed/refereed
- What books does the library have on my topic? (YouTube) search for books using keywords
Searching for Articles
- Academic Search Elite (EBSCO)
- General OneFile (Gale)
- Wilson OmniFile Full Text
- More ? Articles by Subject
Searches for scholarly materials such as peer-reviewed articles, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and reports across many disciplines and sources.
- Google Scholar = http://www.google.com/scholar
- Set Google Scholar preferences: select "Settings," click “Library Links” on left menu, type "CSUN" in the box “Show library access links…” and click Find Library; check the box next to "CSU, Northridge - SFX Find It at CSUN;" and click the Save button.
MLA Citation Guide
- MLA Style Guide (PDF) by Eric Garcia
Need More Help ?
Research Strategies Guide