Reference Works: Indexes and General Guides
- Play Index. New York: H. W. Wilson, 1952
Indexes one-act, full-length, and children's plays
Approximately 4,000 plays covered in each volume (30,000 plays total)
Indexed by author, title, and subjects, with cast analysis
Reference Room: Z 5781 .P53
- Sharp, Harold and Marjorie. Index to Characters in the Performing Arts, 1966-1973.
Four volume set that covers non-musical plays, opera and musical productions, ballets, and radio/television.
Reference Room (with second set on the third floor): PN 1579 .S45
- Banham, Martin. Cambridge Guide to World Theatre. Cambridge University Press, 1988.
Reference Room: PN 2035 .C27 1988.
- Salem, James M. Drury’s Guide to Best Plays. Scarecrow Press, 1987.
1,500 synopses of plays
Entries include author, title, date of first production, publisher, royalty fees, number acts, sets, and actors
Reference Room: PN 1655 .D8 1987
- Packard, William. Facts on File Dictionary of the Theatre. 1988.
Over 5,000 definitions and biographical sketches
Includes playwrights and performers
Reference Room: PN 2035 .F27 1988
- Hawkens-Dady, Mark. International Dictionary of Theatre. 1992.
Three volume set including plays, playwrights, actors, directors and designers
Reference Room: PN 1625 .I58 1992
- Hochman, Stanley. McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of World Drama: an International Reference Work. 1984. (five volumes)
Reference Room: PN 1625 .M3 1984
- Hartnoll, Phyllis. The Concise Oxford Companion to the Theatre. 1992
Reference Room: PN 2035 .C63 1992
- Kennedy, Dennis. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Theatre and Performance. 2003. (two volumes)
Reference Room: PN 2035 .O94 2003
Monologues and scenes
- The Playwrights' Center monologues for women. 2005.
3rd Floor: PN 2080 .P6215 2005
- The Playwrights' Center monologues for women. 2005
3rd Floor: PN 2080 .P62 2005
- Both sides of the story: 100 all-new original audition monologues. 2004.
3rd Floor: PN 2080 .M454 2004
- Fifty professional scenes for student actors. 1997.
3rd Floor: PN 2080 .K58 1997
Guide to Library of Congress call numbers
*Note: when searching by subject heading, use "Theater", not "Theatre."
*Also: some books may be in the Folio/Oversize section, near the East Wing.
Musical Theatre (in the Music & Media section on the 2nd floor): MT 955 - MT 956
Drama, General (all non-musical drama/theatre books are on the 3rd floor): PN 1600 - PN 3307
Drama, General--Collections: PN 6110.5 - PN 6120
French Drama: PQ 500 - PQ 591
French Drama--Collections: PQ 1211 - PQ 1241
Italian Drama: PQ 4133 - PQ 4160
Spanish Drama: PQ 6098.7 - PQ 6129
English Drama: PR 621 - PR 739
English Drama--Collections: PR 1241 - PR 1273
American Drama: PS 330 - PS 352
American Drama--Collections: PS 623 - PS 635
German Drama: PT 605 - PT 709
German Drama--Collections: PT 1251 - PT 1299