- About CSUN's Information Competence Program
- Information Literacy Training Programs
- Information Literacy Definitions
- Discipline Specific Information Literacy Approaches
- Teaching Information Literacy
- Higher Education Reform Movements
- Information Literacy Standards
- History of Bibliographic Instruction in Higher Education
- Faculty Librarian Collaboration
- Information Literacy in the Workplace
- More resources
- Blogs of Interest
Recommended Recent Books and Publications
Information Literacy Training Programs/ Best Practices / Forums
- ACRL Information Literacy Immersion Program (http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlissues/acrlinfolit/professactivity/iil/immersion/immersionprograms.htm)
- ACRL Best Practices Initiative Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices Working Edition (http://acrl.telusys.net/webcast/media-library/v0008/assessment/BPinitiative.html)
National Forum on Information Literacy
Information Literacy Definitions
Information Literacy Definitions. Compiled by K. Alix Hayden (University of Calgary Library)
Wikipedia: Information Literacy
- Bruce, Christine (1997). The Seven Faces of Information Literacy, Adelaide, AUSLIB Press.
- Bruce, Christine S.: The phenomenon of information literacy. Higher education research and development 17(1998)1: 25-43.
- Bruce, Christine S. and Candy, Philip C., eds.: Information literacy around the world: advances in programs and research. Wagga Wagga, NSW: Centre for Information Studies, Charles Stuart University, 2000.
- Doyle, Christan, S. Outcome Measures for Information Literacy Within the National Education Goals of 1990: Final Report to the National Forum on Information Literacy. Summary of Findings June, 1992. ERIC Document ED 351033
Information Literacy as Process Conception
- Carol Collier Kuhlthau, "Developing a Model of the Library Search Process: Cognitive and Affective Aspects," RQ, 28, 2, 1988, pp. 232-242.
- Carol Collier Kuhlthau,. Seeking meaning: A process approach to library and information services. Norwood, NJ: Ablex Publishing. (1993).
- Patricia Ianuzzi,. "Faculty development and information literacy: establishing campus partnerships." Reference services review Fall/Winter, 97-116. (1998)
- Maryellen Weimer,. Improving College Teaching: Strategies for Developing Instructional Effectiveness. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1990.
Information Literacy as Creativity Conception
Hensley, Randy. "Curiosity and Creativity as Attributes of Information Literacy." Reference & User Services Quarterly v. 44 no. 1 (Fall 2004)
- Petrowski, Mary Jane. "Creativity Research: Implications for Teaching, Learning and Thinking." Reference Services Review 28.4 (2000): 304-12.
Discipline Specific Information Literacy
- Grafstein, Ann (2002) A Discipline-Based Approach to Information Literacy. Journal of Academic Librarianship, Vol. 28, Issue 4
Integration of Learning Outcomes California State University
Teaching Information Literacy
- Breivik, Patricia Senn. Student Learning in the Information Age. Series on Higher Education. Phoenix, Ariz. : American Council on Education/Oryx Press, 1998.
- Esther S. Grassian and Joan R. Kaplowitz Information literacy instruction : theory and practice. New York : Neal-Schuman, c2001.
- Jacobson, Trudi E and Lijuan Xu (2004) Motivating Students in Information Literacy Classes. New York : Neal-Schuman, c2004.
Advocate for Information Literacy
Understanding Information Literacy Within the Context of Higher Education Reform Movements
- Rockman, Ilene F. and Associates "Integrating Information Literacy into the Higher Education Curriculum : Practical Models for Transformation." San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2004.
- W. B. Carnochan. The Battleground of the Curriculum. Liberal Education and American Experience. Stanford, 1993.
- Jerry G. Gaff, James L. Ratcliff, & Associates Handbook of the Undergraduate Curriculum: A Comprehensive Guide to Purposes, Structures, Practices, and Change Jossey-Bass Publishers. 1997.
- Boyer, Earnest L. College: The undergraduate experience in America. New York: Harper & Row. 1987.
Standards for Information Literacy
- Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. Chicago: ACRL, 2000. http://www.ala.org/acrl/ilcomstan.html
ACRL Standards Toolkit
Objectives for Information Literacy Instruction: A Model Statement for Academic Librarian. Chicago: ACRL, 2001.
ISTE International Society for Technology in Education
History of Bibliographic Instruction in Higher Education
- Otis H. Robinson, "Proceedings," American Library Journal 1 (November 30, 1876): 123-24 as cited by Edward G. Holley, "Academic Libraries in 1876," College & Research Libraries 37 (January 1976): 15.
- Patricia Knapp, "A Suggestive Program of College Instruction in the Use of the Library," Library Quarterly (July 1956): 230.
ACRL Instruction Section. The BI Knowledge Base: A Brief Retrospective
- Carla J. Stoffle [with Alan E. Guskin and Joseph A. Boisse] "Teaching, Research and Service: The Academic Library's Role" , New Directions in Teaching and Learning, No. 18, edited by Tom Kirk. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1984, pp 3-14.
- Farber, Evan Ira. College Libraries and the Teaching/Learning Process: A 25-year Reflection. Journal of Academic Librarianship 25.3 (1999): 171-177.
- Hardesty, Larry. "Reflections on 25 Years of Library Instruction: Have We Made Progress?" Reference Services Review 27.3 (1999): 242-246.
Faculty Librarian Collaboration
- Farber, Evan. "Faculty-Librarian Cooperation: a Personal Perspective." Reference Services Review 27.3 (1999): 229-34.
- Raspa, Dick; Ward, Dane, eds. The Collaborative Imperative: Librarians and Faculty Working Together in the Information Universe. Chicago: ACRL, 2000.
Information Literacy in the Workplace
- Bruce, Christine S. Information Literacy in the Workplace: Workplace experiences of information literacy. International journal of information management 19(1999)1:33-48.
- Bruce, Christine S.: Information literacy in the workplace. 3rd National Information Literacy Conference, 'Information literacy: the professional issue', 8-9 December 1997, Canberra, Adelaide, SA: University of South Australia Library, 1998:29-37.
- Goad, Tom. Information literacy and workplace performance. Westport, Conn. : Quorum Books, 2002.
Scott Walter's Site on Instructional Improvement in Academic Libraries
Directory of Online Resources for Information Literacy: Papers and Presentations concerning Information Literacy
Other Information Literacy Resources
Information Literacy Weblog
The Information Literacy Land of Confusion
Compiled by Lynn Lampert