Phone number: (818)677-3012
- M.S. Microbiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Ill.
- M.A. Library Science, University of Chicago, Chicago, Ill.
- B.A. English/Bacteriology, Douglass College, Rutgers University New Brunswick, NJ
- Continuing Education courses
- California State University, Oviatt Library, Northridge, CA, 1985-
Specialities are database searching and science reference. Responsible for ordering books and periodicals for Health Sciences, Communicative Disorders, Kinesiology, Leisure Studies. Database Coordinator. Chair of the Public Services Department's Database Services Committee 19xxMember of MetaSearch Implementation Team, ELCOM
- Environmental Research & Technology (ERT), Westlake Village, CA,1977-1985
Ran a corporate library branch: administration, reference,cataloging
- Pacific University Library, Forest Grove, OR, 1973-1977
Reference librarian and collection development in science, optometry. Ten week faculty internship DIALOG Information Systems.
- Gaya College, U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer, Malaysia, 1970-1972
Lecturer and Administrator at Gaya College Teacher Training College and Adviser to the Sabah Board of Education
- Biomedical Library , UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, 1968-1970
Training sessions through 4 state region, database searcher, and reference desk responsibilities. Six month internship at National Library of Medicine .
- John Crerar Library, Chicago, Illinois, 1965-66
At that time John Crerar Library and Illinois Institute of Technology Library were housed in the same building on IIT's campus.
Publications and Grants followed by Posters and Presentations (2009-2014)
- [acepted for pubication, Aug. 29, 2016] Antunez, M & Henry, M. A comparative review of gerontological nursing citation data. Health Information and Libraries Journal. 1-20 p.
- [grant] NIH/NLM Grant "Women’s Health Resources and Gender Research Differences: Outreach at California State University Northridge" 2013 (Jt. Authors are Lynn Lampert, Marcia Henry and Anna Fidgeon and Mark Stover, Principal Investigator [funded 50,000.00]
- [Article) Henry, M. (2012) NIH public access policy and the Library. College&Research Libraries News 73(8), p.489
- [Book chapter]Henry, M. (2011). In Laurie M Thompson, Editor-in-chief (Ed.), MLA Master Guide to Authoritative Information Resources in the Health Sciences : Geriatric Nursing (pp. 370-375). Neal-Schuman Publishers. www.neal-schuman.com/bdetail.php?isbn=9781555707194
- [article) Henry, M. and Mayberry, C. (October 2009). Rehabilitation Reference Center. Charleston Adviser. v.11(2) p.43-46. Retrieve from http://scholarworks.csun.edu/handle/10211.2/2081 __________________________________________________________________________________
- [poster]Henry, Marcia (presenter) & Antunez, M. SCIMago and ISI's Journal Citation Reports (JCR) role in bibliometric mapping studies. Medical Library Association (MLA) Annual Meeting, 2015, Austin, Texas, May 15-20.
- [poster]Antunez, M & Henry, M (presenter). Where is research reported in Gerontological Nursing: Using current bibliometric resources to study cited references to identify high impact journals 1996 – 2013. International Academy of Nursing Editors (INANE) Annual Meeting, 2014, Portland, Maine, August 4-6
- [poster] Henry, M, Fidgeon, A & Lampert, L. Campus Grants Introduce New Information Resources: Engagement opportunities for Students, campus services, and the Library. 2014 Annual Meeting of the Medical Library Association, Boston, MA, May
- [Speaker]Henry, M. Mapping the Gerontological Literature 2008-2010. Presented at CSUN Research Fellows 2012-13 Colloquium, Northridge, CA, October 16, 2013
- [poster] Henry, M., Fidgeon, A & Lampert, L. Riding the Wave: Grant Opportunity Expands Outreach Programs, Library Collections, Promotes Active Learning at California State University, Northridge" presented at Medical Library Group of Southern California & Arizona Joint Meeting, San Diego, CA, July 24-26, 2013.
- [Speaker] Henry, M. Grant Thinking: New opportunities to rethink information literacies. Presented at at Medical Library Group of Southern California & Arizona Joint Meeting, San Diego, CA, July 24-26, 2013.
- [poster] Fidgeon, Anna, Marcia Henry and Lynn Lampert. "Women's Health Resources and Gender Research Differences: Outreach at California State University, Northridge Project With the National Library of Medicine." The Women & Gender Studies Section General Membership Meeting, American Library Association Conference, Chicago, IL, June 27-July 2, 2013).
- [poster]Henry, M., Antunez, M., Vieira, D.L, & Randell, K. International health care issues and services identified while mapping the gerontological nursing literature. Refereed Poster presentation at 2013 Annual Meeting of the Medical Library Association, Boston, MA, May 3-8, 2013.
- [poster] Galli, N, Cosby, E, Henry, M. EndNote Web for Students:Kin200 Foundation for Kinesiology Experiences Information Management to Improve Research and Citing Skills. Presented at CSUN Faculty Retreat 2012
- [presenter] Henry, M., Lampert, L., Green, R. Kellenberger, A, Woodley, M. Workshop 2: Helping Students Ethically Integrate Source Materials into their research canvas: A collaborative approach. Presented at the 2012 CSUN Faculty Retreat. Retrieved from http://www.csun.edu/senate/retreat/poster3.pdf
- [poster]Henry, M. 2012 Embedded Librarian Services Reviewed Using the ACRL DLS 2012 Program Planning Committee's Embedded Librarians Bibliography” Poster presented at California Library Association 2012 Conference, San Jose.
- Henry, M. (Presenter & Author), Mayberry, C. B. (Author ), NCNMLG/MLGSCA Joint Meeting, "Keeping up with technology;using agile project management for mobile library services.," Medical Library Group Southern California & Arizona, San Francisco, CA. (February 24, 2011). Retrieve from http://scholarworks.csun.edu/handle/10211.2/1620
- Henry, M. (Presenter & Author), NCNMLG/MLGSCA Joint Meeting, Feb. 23-25, 2011, "PubMed/Medline Recipes for a Federated Search," Northern California, Nevada and Southern California, Arizona Medical Library Groups, San Francisco, CA. (February 24, 2011)
- [Speaker] Henry, M. (February 2010). SFX, MetaLib: Information Literacy for the Federated Searcher . eSWUG conference Mini conference, Santiago Canyon College February 19, 2010, Orange, CA.
- [poster]Henry, M. (Author), Mayberry, C.B. (Presenter and Author) Web 2.0 Enhancements in the Oviatt Library Catalog. Presented at Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona Technology Symposium; 2009 March 6; Cerritos, CA. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10211.2/1621
- Garcia, E., Skaggs, D., Henry, M. & Woodley, M (January 2009). What's New @ Oviatt Library:Web 2.0 Enhancements, Tutorials, Social Networks, Cited Reference Searching, Citation Services [POSTER] and [HANDOUT] CSUN New Faculty Retreat 2009, Ventura, CA
- Henry, M. (2008) . Review of Medical Librarian 2.0 Use of Web 2.0 Technologies in Reference Services. Doody's Review Service (on-line). Available:http://www.doody.com. (Accessed March , 2008).
- Howard, P and Henry, M. (January 2007) SportsDiscus Full Text (CSA)and Physical Education (CSA):Side by side comparison. The Charleston Adviser. v. 8(3)p.11 -15
- Ballard, S., & Henry, M. (Oct 2006). Citation searching: new players, new tools.Searcher, 14, 9. p.24(10).
- Henry, M. Review of MEDLINE: A Guide to Effective Searching
in PubMed and Other Interfaces, 2nd Edition . Doody's Review Service (on-line). Available:
http://www.doody.com. (Accessed July 14, 2006).
- Henry, M. (2004, Summer) Open Linking & OpenURL. OASIS Newsletter,40 (2). http://library.csusm.edu/intranet/oasis/2004-Summer/openlinking.htm
- Henry, M. MLA Conference Report: Eco-Power: Taking Back the Environment published in the Newsletter of the Public Health/Health Administration Section of the Medical Library Association, Summer 2004
- Henry, M. "Environmental Regulations: Online and in print"
ERMD Newletter Spring 2003 ( Access online if a SLA member at http://www.sla.org/division/derm/newsletter/Spring03.pdf )
- Henry, M. "Keeping Current Through the Internet." Innovative Leader. v.9 n 8 Aug. 2000, p. 6-7 (Access at http://www.winstonbrill.com/bril001/html/article_index/articles/451-500/article484_body.html )
- Henry, M. column on OPACs in CWIS:Campus-Wide Information Systems, Articles in Internet Research, OCLC Systems & Services, Computers in Libraries, Database Searcher, Laserdisk Librarian, and the ERIC Clearinghouse. Articles published since 1995 are:
"VTLS: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University --revised search sheet.", with co-authors Linda Keenan and Michael Reagan. CWIS v. 12 n4 Summer 1995, p. 12-14
"OPACS, libraries, universities:WWW directories" CWIS v 12 n 4 Wint 1995, p. 8-11
"Library OPACs with search forms on the World Wide Web" CWISv 13 n 1 1996, p. 16-18
"Library OPAC vendors and the Web: Innopac, Ameritech" CWISv 13 n 2 1996, p. 10-14
"Online Directories for library catalogs on the Internet" CWIS v.12 (3) 1995 p. 21-23
"WebCATS" CWIS v 13 n 4 1996 p. 11-13
Regional Web pages for OPACS:New York State Electronic Doorway"CWIS v 14 (3) 1997, p. 75-77
Several articles in Campus Wide Information Systems
Library OPACs on the Web: finding and describing directories. Internet Research v. 7 no4 (1997) p. 337-341
The Library of Congress catalog. (on the Web) OCLC Systems & Services v. 14 no1 (1998) p. 42-45
29. [Book] Henry, Marcia Klinger, Keenan, Linda, and Reagan, Michael. (1991). Search Sheets for OPACS on the Internet: A selective guide to U.S.OPACS utilizing VT100 emulation. Westport, CT: Meckler. 208 pp. See its holdings in libraries near you on WorldCat
Henry, Marcia in the ERIC Clearinghouse
- A study of Grateful Med Use in a Graduate Health Program
- Electronic Library Instruction
- Bibliographic Management Software Seminars: Funding and Implementation
30. Henry, Marcia and Erik S. Nolte.(1988, September) AUTOMENU Software Management Systems: a Menu Building Software Program for DOS with Special Features of Speed, Security, Screen Saver, and Minimal Memory Requirements. LASERDISK PROFESSIONAL, 1(3):59-65
Presentations and Posters prior 2009
- Henry, M, Veiria, D, Antunez, M. “International Health Care Issues and Services Identified while Mapping the Gerontological Nursing Literature,” accepted poster for MLA 2013 Conference, Boston, May
- Henry, M. (Author), Mayberry, C.B. (Presenter and Author) Web 2.0 Enhancements in the Oviatt Library Catalog Poster Powerpoint
- Mendes, L., Martin, C. & Henry, M. (August 2008) MetaLib X-Server Implementation @ CSUN: "Metasearch" to "Multisearch [POSTER] and [Handout]Eluna conference July 30-August 1, 2008, Long Beach, CA
- Henry, M. (2008, January). Latest Enhancements to Library Databases:RSS Email Alerts, Cited Reference Searching, Citation Tools [poster] CSUN New Faculty Retreat 2008, Ventura, CA
- Henry, M. & Klein, A. (2007, October). Science and Engineering Programs for Librarians:SEAL-South (CARL) Perspectives. [poster], California Library Association Annual Conference, Long Beach
- Henry, M. (2007, June). Metalib and the 50 Minute Information Literacy Class [poster] Eluna Conference 2007, Spearfish, SD.
- Henry, M. (2007, June) Counting on Oviatt Library Resources [poster] CSUN New Faculty Retreat, Oxnard, CA
- Henry, M. (2006, October). Federated Search Influence on Health Literacy. [poster] Western MLA Tri-Chapters 2006, Seattle, WA
- Henry, M. (2006, June). Everything Students need to know about SFX and Metalib, speaker at the User Education for SFX & MetaLib panel, first annual conference of the ExLibris Users of North American (Eluna), Knoxville, TN. Available at http://library.csun.edu/mhenry/documents/Eluna2006.ppt
- Ballard, S. & Henry, M. (2006, April). Cool new tools for Citing & Cited Reference Searching. Poster presented at the annual conference of California Academic Research Libraries (CARL), Asilomar, CA
- Ballard, S. & Henry, M. (2005, October) New Players in Cited
Reference Searching. Speaker at the annual meeting of the Association of Mental Health Librarians (AMHL), San Diego, CA . Available at http://library.csun.edu/mhenry/documents/AMHLppt.ppt
- Henry, M. (2005, June) Cited Reference Searching. Poster presented at the annual meeting of American Libraries Association (ALA), Washington, DC
- Henry, M. (2005, June) Cited Reference Searching: New avenues for Librarian Faculty Collaboration. Poster presented at the Research Forum of ACRL Science and Technology Section (STS), Washington, DC
- Henry, M. (2005, February) Consider New Ways for Cited Reference Searching. Poster presented at the Joint MLGSCA meeting, Long Beach, CA
- Henry, M. (2004, May).Linking technology's power to deliver needed articles to undergraduate nursing students. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Medical Library Association, Washington, DC.
- Henry, M. & Lampert, L. & Dabbour, K. ( 2002, May )Chat Reference Service at CSU Northridge. Poster presented at the annual conference of California Academic Research Libraries (CARL), Asilomar, CA
- Henry, M. (2001, November). The Future of the Academic Reference Desk. Speakerat Internet Librarian 2 Pasadena, CA
- Henry, M. (2000, November) Same Tasks, New Tools:Case Studies. Speaker at Internet Librarian 2000, Monterey, CA
- Henry, M. & Perkins, A. (2000, October). Ask a Librarian: remote reference program at California State University Northridge, 1994-2000. Poster presented at the California Academic & Research libraries (CARL) Long Beach, CA.
- CSUN Faculty Retreat 2000 University Library, Reference & Instructional Services' "Research Databases, Instructional Services and Course Links programs."
- 7th Annual CARL Conference "The Future is Now" 1999 -2 posters
- co-author on "Courselinks: Bringing Together Faculty and Librarian Web Pages"
- principal author on "Delivering Expensive Databases and full text journal articles to small select groups of patrons: CSUN's CINAHL and DIALOG CIP programs for Nursing, Engineering,Chemistry, Biology"
- 1998 CARL ConferenceCollaborative Adventures, Collaborative Efforts:Academic Libraries in Partnerships, Newport Beach, CA, September 11-12, 1998, "Developing Library Service for Distance Education," with Ann Perkins and Stephen Sinclar, PhD.
- 1996 4th Annual California Academic and Research Libraries (CARL) Conference. Information Competence in the Emerging Digital World, San Diego, CA, October 25-26, 1996
"Simple Solutions for Patrons' Frequently Asked Questions," with Judy Arnett, Reference Room Computer Student Assistant
- The Universe at your Fingertips:Continuing Web EducationUniversity of California, Santa Barbara, April 25, 1998 -"Overview of Web Education as Presented on Library Web Pages"
- Member of the Continuing Education Committee for the MLGSCA/NCNMLG Joint Meeting 2005, Long Beach, California
- member MLGSCA Continuing Education Committee 2007- present
- member MLGSCA Awards Committee 2012-
- CALIFORNIA ACADEMIC & RESEARCH LIBRARIES (CARL)
- (2008) Past President SEAL-South
- (2007) President SEAL –South (Science and Engineering Librarians) interest group, California Academic Research Libraries
- MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
- 2012- NAHRS (Nursing and Allied Health) Executive Committee,
- 2012- Co-Chair of the NAHRS Continuing Education Committee.
- (2007-2010) Member Continuing Educaiton Committee, Medical Library Association
- AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
- SCOUG (SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ONLINES SEARCHERS GROUP)
- I like learning how to use new software applications in Myspace and Facebook
- I like trying out Google's photo editor, Picasa, for family events and their Marriage photo June 20, 2009
Isaac and Jessica Marriage