American Indian Studies 304: American Indian Law and Policy
Subject words: indians dictionaries or indian dictionaries
- Native Americans and the law [electronic resource] : a dictionary /
Gary A. Sokolow.
Subject words: indians encyclopedias or indian encyclopedias
- American Indian law deskbook / Conference of Western Attorneys General
; chair, editing committee, Joseph P. Mazurek, chief editors, Julie Wrend,
Clay Smith. Niwot, Colo. : University Press of Colorado, c1998.
- Location: Reference Room KF8205 .A76 1998
- Documents of American Indian diplomacy : treaties, agreements, and conventions,
1775-1979 / [compiled by] Vine Deloria, Jr., and Raymond J. DeMallie ;
with a foreword by Daniel K. Inouye. Norman : University of Oklahoma Press,
c1999. 2 v.
- Location: Reference Room E98.E2 E52 1999 also available electronically from Netlibrary
- The encyclopedia of Native American legal tradition / edited by Bruce
Elliott Johansen ; foreword by Charles Riley Cloud. Westport, Conn : Greenwood
- Location: Reference Room KF8204 .E53 1998
- Encyclopedia of North American Indians / Frederick E. Hoxie, editor.
Boston : Houghton Mifflin Company, c1996-
- Location: Reference Room E76.2 .E53 1996;
- The Gale encyclopedia of Native American tribes / edited by Sharon
Malinowski ... [et al.]. Detroit : Gale, c1998
- Location Reference Room E77 .G15 1998 v.1-4
- Guide to American Indian documents in the Congressional Serial Set,
1817-1899 : a project of the Institute for the Development of Indian Law
/ Steven L. Johnson. New York : Clearwater Pub. Co., 1977
- Location: Reference Room KF8201.A1 J63
- Handbook of North American Indians / William C. Sturtevant, general
editor. Washington : Smithsonian Institution : for sale by the Supt. of
Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1978-
- Location: 2nd Floor and Reference Room E77 .H25
Check the Library Catalog
Links to other
World Cat, Melvyl and more! Key words: Indians and Law; Subject
words: north american indians
Gambling on Indian reservations -- Law and legislation -- United
States; Indians of North America -- Law and legislation -- California
Indians of North America Legal status, laws, etc.
-- See also Indians of North America Claims
-- See also Indians of North America Land tenure
-- See also Federal-Indian trust relationship
-- See also Federally recognized Indian tribes
-- See also Indian country (United States law)
Periodicals/Journals: Indexes & Articles
Subject words: north american indians periodicals
- Abstracts in Anthropology
- Location: Reference Room Table 4 GN 1 A15 1980- ; v. 1-7, 4th Floor.
Focus on American publications.
- Anthropological Literature and Anthropological Index combined
- Location: Internet
Full Text Articles
see also Databases by Subject: American Indian Studies
- Academic Universe
- Lexis Nexis
- A wide variety of information including: articles from Newspapers, journals,
law reviews, case law and more
- Full-text and citations from journals and magazines, may limit to only
search full-text, within a specific date range and peer reviewed journals
- "Complete electronic archive of all AAA journals through 2003 ...
Current issues for 11 of the AAA's most critical peer-reviewed publications."
- Ethnic News
Watch (includes retrospective content)
- Full-text database of selected newspapers, magazines and journals of
the ethnic, minority and native press in the United States. Alternative
to mainstream media so gives a different perspective
- General OneFile (includes
Expanded Academic ASAP InfoTrac)
- Full-text and citations from journals and magazines, may limit to only
search full-text, within a specific date range and refereed journals
- Human Relations Area Files
- Data and publications on a variety of cultures world-wide.
- Location: Microfiche 4th Floor; Partially available on line through
- JStor Journal
- Archival collection of scholarly articles from various academic displines,
including Anthropology, History, Political Science, and Sociology, the
most recent articles are at least 2-5 years old.
- Sage Journals
- Full text to over 460 journals in business, humanities, social sciences, and science, technology and medicine.
- U.S. Congressional Serial Set 1817-1980
- Location: Microfiche 4th Floor; Partially available online.
- Search by People. List contains specific tribes and general term: Indians
- Wiley Online Journals
- Full text access to over 1,200 journals covering life, health and physical sciences, social science, and the humanities. Contains over 40 journals in anthropology and archaeology,
- Charles D. Bernholz and Robert J. Weiner, Jr. "American
Indian treaties in the State Courts:
- A guide to treaty citations from
opinions of the State Court systems.
Information Quarterly Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 440-488.
through Science Direct (Last viewed 05 October 2005)
Facts & Figures
- Statistical Record of Native North Americans. Marlita A. Reddy, editor.
Detroit : Gale, c1995.
- Location: Reference Room E98.P76 S73 1995
FactFinder Provides information based on the US Census; Subject Index:
American Indian and Alaska Native (AIAN) Data and Links
- RAND California
provides easy access to statistics about California; some databases cover
the entire United States. (CSUN subscription; not available to all users)
Suggestion: Statistics Summary, ... by race (U.S. State and County Population
Statistics By Race and/or Age)
- Location: Internet (subscription)
Internet Resources --Native Americans and Law
- Department of the Interior. Indian Affairs
- Kappler's Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties
- This site contains the fully searchable digitized text of all seven
volumes from the original 1903-04 U.S Government Printing Office publication.
Based at Oklahoma State University Library, these volumes contain U.S.
government treaties with Native Americans from 1871-1970 as well as U.S.
laws and executive orders. Information can be accessed from the table
of contents, through the index of each volume, or by keyword search.
- Location: http://digital.library.okstate.edu/kappler/
American Constitution and Law Digitization Project.
- Housed at the University of Oklahoma Law Library, this project is a
cooperative effort between the University of Oklahoma Law Center, the
National Indian Law Library, and Native American tribes. The site provides
access to constitutions, tribal codes, a digitized version of the Handbook
of Federal Indian Law (1941) by Felix S. Cohen, documents of Indian land
cessions, Indian Reorganization Act Era Constitutions and Charters, and
many other resources for researchers of Native American legal issues.
- Location: http://thorpe.ou.edu
- National Indian Law Library
(National American Rights Fund)
- A public law library devoted to federal Indian and tribal law. It collects
all resources specializing in legal practice materials which are essential
for practitioners of Indian law, including books, pamphlets, federal government
documents, state government documents, scholarly reports, journal articles,
newspaper articles, student reports, and law reviews. NILL digital collection
contains full text of primary
- Location: http://www.narf.org/nill/
- Popular Names of Federal Native American Laws
- Selected list of laws with links to U.S. codes (Center for Regulatory
- Location: http://www.thecre.com/fedlaw/legal22x.htm
See also Fedlaw by topic: Indianhttp://www.thecre.com/fedlaw/topicali.htm
and Native American http://www.thecre.com/fedlaw/topicaln.htm
- US Code Collection: Indians
- Legal Information Institute, Cornell University
- Location: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/25/
- For more information, contact Mary S. Woodley at 677-6302 firstname.lastname@example.org