Updates & News
University Library Partially Reopens to CSUN Students for Individual Study and Computer Use
Starting Monday, March 29, 2021, the University Library started providing CSUN students individual study space and computer/printing access on the Library’s main floor. Students will need to make a reservation using the LibCal reservations system. See Library Individual Study and Computer Use Space for more information.
- CSUN Students can now use LibCal to reserve an individual study space or computer/printing access on the Library’s main floor while the Library otherwise remains closed. See Library Individual Study and Computer Use for more information.
- Locker Pickup Service and Books by mail now available for for all circulating collections, including STORED books and media, as well as items requested through InterLibrary Loan and CSU+.
- BibliU, an e-textbook borrowing system, is now available to CSUN students enrolled in about 30 courses during spring semester.
- Archival duplication requests now available.
- Laptop loans are available through the Campus Store. See Device Loaner Program for CSUN Students
- High-end library workstations are available through myCSUNsoftware. See our Library Remote Workstation Guide for more details
- Library building remains closed, except for study/computer spaces available by reservation to CSUN students only.
- CSUN as One Academic Year 2020-2021 Planning Hub for updated campus information
Resources & Services
Get Help 24/7 with our Live Chat
Start with OneSearch to access millions electronic books/textbooks, journal/periodical articles, media titles, and other resources. We also have over 300 specialized databases, including streaming media, Digital Collections, and our ScholarWorks Open Access Repository to help with your virtual library research needs.
Off-Campus Access to Electronic Resources
Books/Textbooks/Media for Course Reserves
While the Library is currently unable to provide in-person access to our course reserves collection of print textbooks and books or in-person viewing of DVDs/VHS, faculty and students have other options while the Library is closed, including BibliU, an e-textbook borrowing system, for CSUN students enrolled in about 30 courses during spring semester. Note that books and media on reserve are not available for mailing to students. Please see the Course Reserves During Closure FAQ for more information.
- Ask a Librarian
- Library Research Guides
- How-To Guides and Tutorials
- Librarian Subject Specialists
- Library Instruction Support
Borrowing Print Books and Physical Media
While the library building remains closed due to public health requirements, current CSUN students, faculty (including Emeritus), and staff can request books and other circulating materials from our collections to be sent to them by mail. Users may request items through OneSearch:
- Search for needed items in OneSearch, and click Sign in to sign into your OneSearch account
- In the record for the item you want, click Request and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Select Library Lockers or Home Address from the Pickup Location menu. For information on Locker Pickup, see our Locker Pickup Service page.
- Items requested by mail will be received in about two weeks, as item availability, public health, and USPS mail circumstances allow.
Note: The Locker Pickup Service and Books by Mail are available for Interlibrary Loan and CSU+ (see Frequently Asked Questions about Interlibrary Loan).
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (818) 677-2274 for more information.
- For students continuing in the spring 2021 semester and other current users, all library books and other materials, including those borrowed via CSU+, originally due on January 15, 2021 or later during the spring 2021 semester have been automatically renewed to June 15, 2021.
- For students who plan to register for spring 2021 classes, please contact the Library department listed on your "Patron Circulation Summary" email or contact Guest Services at email@example.com or (818) 677-2274 to have your checked out items renewed.
- Library laptops/tablets/devices checked out from the CMS/LTS that were due December 23, 2020 were automatically renewed to January 22, 2021. For students who plan to register for spring 2021 classes, an online renewal option is available through the CMS/LTS Renewal Guide process. Once renewed, your items will be due June 15, 2021.
Interlibrary Loan (Physical book borrowing now available)
CSUN students, faculty (including Emeritus), and staff can request electronic copies of journal articles and book chapters and borrow physical books and media from other libraries via Interlibrary Loan. Physical books and media borrowed from other libraries may be picked using the Library’s new Locker Pickup Service (add link) or by mail (add borrow-renew link) .Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (818) 677-2294 for more information.
Return checked out library books to one of the book drop bins located around campus. Currently checked out materials may also be renewed. Contact:email@example.com or call (818) 677-2274 for more information.
Map Collection Access: duplication requests currently suspended
See the Map Collection for more information.
Library Study Space & Computer Access
CSUN students only can now access limited individual study space and computer/printing on the Library’s main floor while the Library otherwise remains closed. Prior to entering the Library, students will need to reserve an individual study space or computer station using LibCal. Alternatively, reservations can be requested by phone weekday hours at (818) 677-2274.
Hours of operation:
- Monday through Friday, 10:00am to 2:00pm from March 29th through April 9th for 2 hours per day.
- Monday through Friday 10:00am to 4:00pm beginning April 12th until the end of spring semester for 3 hours per day
- June 1st and beyond, hours are to be determined.
Note: hours are subject to change based on CSUN’s current public health requirements. See Library Individual Study and Computer Use for more information.
Library Laptops & Equipment
Library laptop/tablet device and multimedia equipment check outs are currently suspended. Eligible patrons with items due January 22, 2021 may renew their items through the CMS/LTS Renewal Guide process. Once renewed, items will be due June 15, 2021.
You may return laptops/equipment checked out from LTS/CMS at the Library during the partial reopening scheduled hours. For more information, call (818) 677-6304.
Device Loaner Program & Campus Computing
- Device Loaner Program is available for enrolled CSUN students.
- Campus Information Technology Software Downloads
- Campus Information Technology Homepage and Services
Services for Alumni, Friends, and Other Community Members
While the Library remains closed, we invite you to explore the Library's OneSearch system to find “open access” electronic resources, University Library Digital Collections, ScholarWorks Open Access Repository (SOAR) of scholarship created by the CSUN community, and electronic government documents. See Alumni and Community for more information about services that will be available once the Library is fully open. Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to offer book checkouts to our courtesy cardholders, including Legacy/Lifetime Alumni Association members, Friends of the Library, etc. For public access to online books and other resources, if you are a Los Angeles resident, we encourage you to also visit the Los Angeles Public Library website to access their extensive online collections of electronic books, articles, streaming media, and more; they also offer curbside pickup for their books at many branches. Similar services might be offered by your local library if you are not a Los Angeles resident. We appreciate your patience and understanding.