General circulating materials (exluding laptops and other electronic equipment) may be checked out at Guest Services, Teacher Curriculum Center (TCC), Music & Media. Loan periods for most circulating items are as follows:
- Students: 16 weeks (while registered or continuing students at CSUN)
- Faculty and staff: 365 days (while employed at CSUN)
Loan periods for other items vary:
- Laptops and tablets -- see Tablet and Laptop Checkout
- Creative Media Studio equipment -- Creative Media Studio
- Course Reserve materials
- InterLibrary Loan -- see ILLFAQ
CSUN students, faculty and staff must always present a current CSUN I.D. card to check out materials.
- Undergraduates, Graduates and Staff may check out an unlimited amount of items from the main collection. Other collections and areas may have other loan restrictions. Each item from the main collection can be renewed once.
- Students may not check out unbound periodicals.
See Faculty Borrowing Privileges for circulation policies applying to CSUN faculty.
Friends, Alumni, visitors and other courtesy card holders may have 10 items checked out at one time. Each item may be renewed once.
See Fines and Fees for related fee information.
Course Reserve materials may be checked out at the following locations, as determined by the instructor:
- Reserves, Periodicals and Microforms desk, fourth floor east
- Music & Media, second floor east
- Teacher Curriculum Center, garden level east
Reserve materials can only be renewed in person at the location where they were checked out.
Interlibrary Loan Materials
Items requested through Interlibrary Loan may be picked up and checked out at the Interlibrary Loan Office, Room 109. When the office is closed, materials may be picked up at the Guest Services desk.
Interlibrary Loan materials may or may not be renewable. See the Interlibrary Loan FAQ page for more information.
You can renew circulating library-owned materials four ways:
- Go to OneSearch and click Guest to log in to your library account and renew online
- Email a renewal request using our online renewal form
- Renew items by phone by calling (818) 677-4745 (available 24 hours a day)
- Bring items to the Guest Services desk during regular library hours
Items may only be renewed within 5 days of the due date. Once you have renewed an item the maximum number of times, you must return it. Overdue books and books on hold for other users cannot be renewed.
A request to search for and/or put a hold on Library materials may be placed through the online catalog or at the Guest Services desk. After receipt of the item(s) a notification will be sent to you, and the located/recalled item(s) will be held for you for one week. Not all Library materials are subject to a hold. Holds on Teacher Curriculum Center (TCC) items must be requested in person at the TCC services desk (Room 26).
The Oviatt Library now notifies patrons via e-mail when items are overdue and when search-hold requests become available. These e-mails are sent only to the patron's official CSUN e-mail address; please be sure to activate your official CSUN e-mail address and check your e-mail so that you can receive these notices. You may address any questions about e-mail notices to the Guest Services desk staff at (818) 677-2274.