Librarians at the Reference Desk provide a range of informational services, including assistance in finding specific facts and information, using online databases and developing appropriate search strategies. In-depth research consultations can be arranged by contacting a Subject Specialist Librarian.
For more information about Reference Services, please consult the Reference and Instructional Services Department home page.
Library Instruction for Classes
Faculty can request a library lecture on research resources appropriate for specific subjects and individual classes. Call your Library Subject Specialist, use our instruction request form, or call 677-2277 to schedule. Please note: The library lecture is not officially scheduled until the librarian has made contact with the faculty member.
Add Library Resources to Your Course Web Site
Here's a handy set of Instructor Tools for adding Library resources -- including librarians -- to your course web pages
Access Services for Faculty
- Course Reserves: Faculty can place Library-owned or privately-owned materials on reserve for use by students in specific courses. Course Reserve Services offers a variety of options for granting access to these materials, from limited loan periods to online e-reserves.
- Media Scheduling: Instructional Videos and DVDs may be scheduled for classroom use through Music & Media. Programs may be booked and checked out, or transmitted directly to the classroom over the University Video Network. Read more about Video Booking.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) & Document Delivery: Faculty may obtain books, journals and articles the Library does not own through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
- Circulation/Check-out Services: CSUN faculty may borrow circulating books for a period of up to one year, and renew items once for an additional one-year period. Read more about Faculty Borrowing Privileges.
The Oviatt Library welcomes faculty input in the development of its collections. Faculty who wish to recommend materials for purchase may contact the appropriate Library Subject Specialist, or complete a purchase recommendation form:
The Faculty Senate Library Committee meets monthly with the Dean of the Library to discuss Library issues relevant to faculty research and instruction.
- Welcome Prospective Faculty Member! A summary of Library Collections and Services
- Guidelines for Designing and Implementing Effective Library Research Assignments
- Faculty Guide to the Oviatt Library (PDF) (requires Adobe Reader)