Welcome back to the Spring semester!
It’s the first week of classes and although all of your professors are expecting you to show up to the first day of classes with ALL of your textbooks, we know that’s not always the case. We also know how insanely expensive textbooks are. Don’t worry, stay calm, it will be OK, the Oviatt library can help!
This blog posts offers a list of resources that can help you find your textbooks. First, there is the library, all of our resources are free to you and there are several ways you can look for books. Second, there is the Matador bookstore, they will have all your required texts, including used books, electronic versions and even a rental program. There are also several online resources for comparing textbooks prices and renting your books. Check out the list below to learn more about how you can save money.
- Course Reserves are course materials that have been set aside for your course to be checked out 2 or 4 hours at a time. Search course reserves from the library’s homepage. Check out the video below to learn more.
- Search for current or older versions of your textbook for 2 week checkouts from the library catalog.
Purchase your textbooks
- You can always check out the Matador Bookstore for all your textbooks.
- DealOz compares prices against various booksellers, including Amazon, half.com, abe books, and more! This is not just for textbooks, you can search for any book.
- ValoreBooks is specifically for textbooks, including new, used, rentals, and alternative editions.
- Did you know that you can buy international versions of textbooks at a discounted prices? As you search online you’ll noticed them labeled as “international” or “alternative” most of the time they are identical, sometimes paperback instead of hardcover and the ISBN might be different.
Rent your textbooks
- Our own bookstore has a rental program, create an account & see what’s available at Follet Rentals.
- CSU has partnered with various publishers to offer CSU students in digitial format at 60% or more off the hard copy version. Check out their Rent Digital resources.
- BookByte-rent, buy or sell your textbooks
- Book Renter
Good luck with your first day of classes and welcome to CSUN!